My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might be looking at my next project. Anyone own one of these ?? Anyone with any info ??

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
looks insanely dangerous without a chute. also where is the float bowl and why does it have a snowblower engine on it?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was surely before the days of OSHA. The original engine is long dead.

It does have a chute at the "top" of the machine. I think the view of the knives is supposed to have a cover and it grinds stuff up and they fall between the lateral bars under the machine but I'm just guessing. I'm just not sure how small it grinds stuff that's why I'd like to get a hold of someone who owns one or has seem one running.

I'd buy it if I can use it but not just to have it sitting around if it can't make me compost.

Grabbed this photo off the web. Not the actual machine for sale. I had to come here before because I couldn't figure it out from his photos.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
I like the name! :cool

It would look great cleaned up or restored.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I would pass on that model!

Kiss4 ,
I have a similar model. I believe mine is a bit more modern.
I don't see the side chute for sticks/ branches. With a dedicated blade! That's the preferred chute that I use much more often, than the top hopper.
The top hopper works OK on leaves and much thinner brush. But in my opinion its really not all that great.:dunno: Although yours seems like it may easily handle stuff (brush) a bit larger. PS mine has a safety cover also
The fact that I don't see any branch chute/shredder makes it less desirable.
I will post some pictures of mine soon.
PS IT is SUPER LOUD!:dunno::2cents:

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
You sure do find some interesting contraptions in your neck of the woods!

I would guess that if you get those teeth to whirling around that it would chop, mince, slice and dice anything you toss in there.

I have a Sears version of this one built by Troy Bilt. It has a hammer mill set up and it works very well. The side chute weld was repaired once, and was breaking loose again, so I just took it off and replaced it with a solid panel. There were different screens to go on the underside that made it chop stuff up in different sizes, but sadly the screens aren't available. Like biketrax said, these things are loud, but they cut piles of leaves and yard debris down to practically nothing.

Picture004.jpg

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought it was interesting and I'm looking for something to chip up tree trimmings and general yard and garden waste but I think I'll pass. At $150 with a snowblower engine it just isn't reasonable. It really needs an old Kohler or something.
Just one of those things that you think looks cool and you'd like to save it.

Reactions: bwdbrn1

·
Registered
158 Posts
Here is a picture of my Kemp chipper/shredder! It's a B&S 6 HP. Runs Like a champ! :2th: Sorry its so dirty,been under a tarp. :bag:The shredder is the top chute. The chipper is the side chute with a single blade on the side of the rotating drum which has the tangs/blades on the exterior of the drum. I believe three rows. I made about 5 spare blades, I believe it would cut better if I temper them! :dunno: Let me know if you want a picture of the drum?

Attachments

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bruce, what is it they say about great minds thinking alike ??? :idea:

Biketrax, if you get a chance to take a photo of the drum I'm always curious. Not having seen one like this I'm still a little lost on how well it would cut stuff up and what size material might get ejected out of it.

I'm going to be moving on from the Kutup. I think it's really cool looking and if I thought it would work for me I'd be trying to make a deal for it without that engine but it doesn't look like it would work for larger branches.

I need something that will take brush and branches and 2-3" would be all the better. The more I can chip the less burning I'd do and the more "stuff" I can spread on the garden and mulch or compost.

I like that it's old and looks like it's make out of boiler plate and likely indestructible. Without a dedicated chipper blade I just think it's not for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts