My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One again, greetings from Germany. I have a real problem to solve here! The people on the forum have not failed me yet, so here goes. I am tinkering on a 1980/81 Ventzki ( a MTD brand) with a Briggs 11hp. A friend of mine found picked it up to plow his driveway. In general, the machine is in ok shape for it's age. Except that someone hacked the wiring harness to pieces. I am a bit stuck to be honest. I have not found any information on the wiring harness. Does anyone have a diagram? I assume this would be the same for other MTD mowers of this production year. I f not, could someone draw a basic harness for me? The only things I need are the alternator, solenoid, starter, ignition switch (also needs to be replaced, I'll just us a generic one) and lights. I wanto to leave out the volt meter. I just need to know how that fits together so that I don't burn something up. If I have a picture I can put anything together. I attached some pictures. As you can see, it has been "fixed" many times.:help:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Welcome back, Hooks :howdy:

Always liked that model and thought their appearance was timeless.

Any way you can find us a serial number? That would help - or you might try their (MTD) parts/owners manual search:

PDF Manual Web Archive

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ventzki

The serial number is too damaged to read, it was just a sticker. The engine comes up as being from 1980 according to the engine code.
Thanks for the diagram, bwdbrn1! It is a good start. I wonder if they sell complete harness's for these machines?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, I finally got around to the old mower again. I sorted through the rats-nest of wiring and got everything cleaned up. Everything was where it should be and the mower started right up. Only it wasn't charging. It was actually discharging. I looked around and found something I had overlooked. The diode had been cut out the alternator wires ran right into the harness. Who does crap like this? If it has been run like this, is the alternator shot? Is there anyway I can check before wiring in a diode? Thanks!:dunno:

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
..Is there anyway I can check before wiring in a diode? Thanks!:dunno:
With the engine running, on the leads to the alternator with them disconnected from the rest of the wiring you should read AC voltage out if it is OK.

(Gotta have AC for the diode to rectify to DC. ;))

But how much voltage depends on the type of alternator used. If you have any AC voltage at all, the alternator is likely good. See the link below:

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/su...~/media/64E962CB7A1B4F96B6723E40E5AABFAC.ashx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts