My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, another scrapyard find. I found this one in the same scrapyard I find most of my antiques at. It has sat outdoors for awhile now, needs some paintwork, and the transmission needs repairs. When I found it in the yard, it was between two steel deck Lawn Boy's. For laughs, I dragged it out, without realizing the choke was on, I pulled it over.. and it started! Needless to say, I bought it. Had to free up the clutch, it was locked solid. Bagger is nearly perfect.. but 3rd gear does nothing, 2nd grinds real bad, 1st will still pull you along the lawn. Shift keys I imagine. Always wanted a 4cycle Suzuki. Most of the others in that yard are destroyed. Cleaned the carb and this runs like a champ! However..
Does anybody know anything about these? Cant find any posts about them. Seems to be the twin to a LawnBoy Medallion. I'll be trying it soon, plan on keeping it. How do these work? Cant find anything about them.
Excuse the less-then-great picture.. I'll get some better ones soon.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Hard to believe that was in scrap!! Nice save and good looking mower.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Great find! Glad to see you save them too! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I ahd one of those for about 20 years, and it still ran great when I sold it. A few hints - you can find the tranny book on Toro's website. I probably still have the service manuals for that bad boy. For some sipping cost, I'd consider mailing it to you if you can't find the stuff online. The front wheels can be interchanged with the rear ones - which tend to get bald. You will have to slightly heat the 3 pins/rivits that hold the gear to the plastic sheels, and then pry them out - and then pund them into the fron wheels. Takes about 5 minutes, and it'll have you about $20.

Otherwise, it is a great machine. I bought it used (1 yr old) for $350, and used it for 20+ years, and re-sold it for $150. (about $10 per year not including the time value of money !)

Any questions, let me know- [email protected]

I got pretty proficient with this machine - after 20 years of ownership.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
I ahd one of those for about 20 years, and it still ran great when I sold it. A few hints - you can find the tranny book on Toro's website. I probably still have the service manuals for that bad boy. For some sipping cost, I'd consider mailing it to you if you can't find the stuff online. The front wheels can be interchanged with the rear ones - which tend to get bald. You will have to slightly heat the 3 pins/rivits that hold the gear to the plastic sheels, and then pry them out - and then pund them into the fron wheels. Takes about 5 minutes, and it'll have you about $20.

Otherwise, it is a great machine. I bought it used (1 yr old) for $350, and used it for 20+ years, and re-sold it for $150. (about $10 per year not including the time value of money !)

Good info!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Funny you mention that, I've been doing that will all my wheels. Still.. if the rear wheels are dead and the fronts too.. whats that scrapyard for?:ThumbUp: I have the tranny all torn apart now.. still can't get it to work though. Strange thing, the gears are PERFECT. Shift keys look fine too.. have to mess with it more I guess.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The front wheels can be interchanged with the rear ones - which tend to get bald. You will have to slightly heat the 3 pins/rivets that hold the gear to the plastic wheels, and then pry them out - and then pound them into the front wheels. Takes about 5 minutes, and it'll have you about $20.
I've wondered if you can do that with these Toros. I will have to try it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well. I went through the tranny AGAIN. Flipped the shift keys and gears, despite everything was fine. Still no 3rd gear, a jumpy 2nd, and a stump-pulling 1st. What gives? I have the transmission from a 2 cycle "Rear Bagger 21" which works just fine. Is there any way I could make that fit this one? I'm gonna look into that tonight. But I'd like to save the proper one if I can help it.. anybody have any ideas? Keys are fine, gears are fine.. clicks into gear right.. but does nothing. For Pete's sake, I don't even know if I like the way it cuts yet! Anybody got experience with these, is it even worth fixing..? This type of Toro is all but extinct around here. Shame 1st gear is too darn slow..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Another common problem with that deck is the notches where the pin goes when you adjust wheel height tends to wear in the cast deck, but there is a cheap steel plate that Toro sells to fix that situation.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, my 2 cycle rear bagger is starting to do that.. I just made myself some new plates. This one still seems pretty tight. From what I gather, this machine was owned by the dealership since it was new as a showroom model.. then sent to scrap when something went wrong.. either the clutch or the transmission I guess.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah, my 2 cycle rear bagger is starting to do that.. I just made myself some new plates. This one still seems pretty tight. From what I gather, this machine was owned by the dealership since it was new as a showroom model.. then sent to scrap when something went wrong.. either the clutch or the transmission I guess.
They are so cheap - or at least used to be - that it is hardly worth the time to fabricate them.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, a few weeks back I got it going, and it doesn't burn a drop of oil, and it starts right up even when hot! Man It'll pick up anything.. (Sorry about the new grass, Dad!) But alas, absolutely no third, almost no second now, and first will still pull a house. I just don't get it, I reassembled it per diagram and there's no wear on the keys or gear. If I can find one of these newer trannys in the junkyard, I'll swap it over. From the look of things, my older 3 speed won't fit in it.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Sounds like a great find but the photos are missing :wwp:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts