My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up my first v series mower, a 10301, steel deck self propelled. This is my first experience with a v series and I have a question about the carb. It is a plastic carb and definitely does not have a slow jet like what I've heard the dura forces do. It was warped like the plastic bodies do but it was relatively mild and sanded flat without too much work. My question is regarding the crazy surging this mower has and how to fix it. Since there is no slow jet the typical dura force fix doesn't seem the correct way to go. Another thing is that I'm not sure it has the correct main jet in it either. The jet that is currently in the carb has no shoulder and screws completely into the body, this doesn't seem to be correct based on pics I've seen on the parts breakdowns. Anyone have any thoughts.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Hi! The jet on those screws up inside the nozzle. No shoulder. It is a fixed jet with no adjustment. Obviously surging is usually a lean condition. How thoroughly did you clean the carb and all the orfices? Doesn't take much varnish to restrict the fuel flow. Good luck in getting this figured out. Bill

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bill,
Thank you for the input. Good to know that I do have the correct jet for that particular carb. As for cleaning, I ran it through an ultrasonic twice. Upon reassembly the mower acts exactly the same. I did go through this engine over the winter, only needed rings and new seals, and I did use the correct anaerobic sealer.
I did discover that if I manually stabilize the governor the surging is gone. I ordered a new governor spring and am hoping this is the issue but I am getting skeptical. In your experienc, what are the chances I have a weak govenor spring ?

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Not well versed on the V series however they are basically an F series. I suppose a weak or damaged governor spring could be the issue however i have my doubts. I know there are some that have installed twp governor springs on a Duraforce. I have never heard of this being done on an F or V. Keep us posted after you try the spring. Bill

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not well versed on the V series however they are basically an F series. I suppose a weak or damaged governor spring could be the issue however i have my doubts. I know there are some that have installed twp governor springs on a Duraforce. I have never heard of this being done on an F or V. Keep us posted after you try the spring. Bill
So we both have our doubts that it is a governor spring, what would be your next guess ? The fact that when I manually stabilize the air vane the idle is perfect makes me wonder.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Okay, since that mower doesn't have a choke, try this. Once running try to partially choke the mower by holding your finger in the carb opening, filter removed. See if you can get it to run smooth with a partial choking. If it will then it is more than likely not the governor spring. I would then be rechecking for air leaks (spray some carb cleaner around the carb area and see if the mower speeds up.) Recheck for any blockage in the jet as well as the nozzle. Assume you had the jet and the nozzle out? Bill

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, since that mower doesn't have a choke, try this. Once running try to partially choke the mower by holding your finger in the carb opening, filter removed. See if you can get it to run smooth with a partial choking. If it will then it is more than likely not the governor spring. I would then be rechecking for air leaks (spray some carb cleaner around the carb area and see if the mower speeds up.) Recheck for any blockage in the jet as well as the nozzle. Assume you had the jet and the nozzle out? Bill
Okay, this is a bit embarrassing but I’m not sure I know what the nozzle is. I removed the brass tube which I relate to being a main jet from my motorcycle background. Is there something else I missed ? I sanded the carb slightly and used new gaskets on both sides of the heat shield.
Thanks for all the help by the way.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
The main jet is small and screws into the nozzle. Pretty sure there are tiny holes in the nozzle as well as in the main jet. Bill

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bill,
I tried what you suggested, I covered the carb throat with my finger and the surging stopped. I was not able to get an idle increase with carb cleaner but I did pull the engine and split and reseal the crankcase and reinstall the oil seals.
Gonna let the seller cure overnight and hopefully have a surge free v series tomorrow.
Thanks again for the help, its appreciated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well...I fired the 10301 up today and the surge is still there. I tried "choking" off the engine and it does eliminate the surging, at least until it stalls out. Holding the governor steady also eliminates the surging. New governor spring will be here tomorrow but I'm still doubtful that is the issue.
I did install a metal walbro carb on this particular engine but cannot get it to start with it, I poured gas into the carb throat and it will run but only momentarily.
I'm about ready to give up on this one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So this is the jet that came out of my carb, there is no removable portion that I can find. If you look closely at the first pic it definitely appears someone soldered this jet.
So I'm definitely leaning towards this being the issue. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I pulled the jet from my 10523 which also has the plastic carb. Installed that jet and boom, a perfect running engine, surge is gone completely. Now for the problem, I need to find one of these nozzles that accept the separate main jet. Anyone have any leads or willing to part with a spare ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts