My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well apprantly I had done more damage than what I first thought. I noticed a little more vibration than normal and also noticed last night that the cut wasn't as smooth as it once was and then, BAM. :help:Spindle broke, the center one. As luck would have it the local Farmers Co-op had a new spindle in stock, the whole thing, shaft and all for a small fee of $54.00. No wonder there was a vibe, it was warped. :^: I just hope the outside one don't take a crap as well. Again lesson learned, stay away from the water meter cover, they are grusome.
I was really upset last night. Just beating myself up over such a stupid thing.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Don't be that hard on yourself, these tthings happen to all of us at one time or another and they WILL happen again ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't be that hard on yourself, these tthings happen to all of us at one time or another and they WILL happen again ;)
I know but it still sux no matter how you look at it. But while I was there I picked up a couple qts of Kohler 10w-30 motor oil and a new pre-filter for the AC, just didn't make sense why they wouldn't put one on there 24 hp engines. Also thinking about changing the oil after 20 hrs for the first time. Couldn't hurt right?

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
No harm, you may even find some assembly debris like gasket material or even some metal. It may even look dirty from some assembly lube.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No harm, you may even find some assembly debris like gasket material or even some metal. It may even look dirty from some assembly lube.
Five Points you hit the nail on the head. The oil I drained was red and the oil filter had bigger oil flow holes in it as well. The oil filter I put on I guess was a universal filter and was a little smaller. So the oil was either break in oil or it was assembly lube one.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
You'll find some different opinions on oil filter choices whether to go with the cheaper universal type or the expensive OEM. There are some internal differences such as the levels of micron filtration and how many pleats (The more pleats you have the more filtration surface area) and what they are made of. All in all even the cheapest one is made to some level of manufacturers specifications.
I don't mind paying a little extra for the better one myself as a little insurance but I think the important thing itself is to make sure you change your oil often and you will find you engine will perform better and last longer, barring some other catastrophic failure.

Now to start another opinionated conversation....... Regular oil vs. Synthetic :p

:bag:

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
I think it's important to use the best filter you can.:2cents: You have to consider that the cheaper the filter, the lower the quality of internal components and filtering efficiency. Some filters even have cardboard components!:eek: Definitely not good! As to oil, I prefer synthetic, but I'm not going any farther! :sidelaugh

1 - 9 of 9 Posts