My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, thought i would show this little "tractor". unfourtunately i have sold it before finding the site a while back. :dunno:at the time i could find no info whatsoever about it. I throughly regret selling it even though i did well. Pics are after a cleaning and wd-40 soaking, it was rough. i was at a small bone yard one day looking for a starter and completely overlooked it. Guy pointed it out and said it was going to scrap and asked me to give $20... i got it going after a long time sitting, of course it was a briggs so i wasnt too surprised.:2th: i sold it as shown.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Now there's a picture of how things were back in the day. Everything out there in the open, easy to get at, with plain and simple instructions of what to do, and how to do it written right there for you to see. Interesting how the steering wheel pivots with the hood. And look at where you sat your feet! Right there on top of the mower deck with nothing more than a little friction tape and common sense to keep your foot in place. Love it. Did you add a muffler to that exhaust pipe before you got it going?

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
Cool! :cool:

Very similar in size and mechanics to the Springfield we had when I was a teenager.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Neat machine! I like the patina.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Local mower shop has a similar machine. Looks so weird to sit on engine compared to newer machines!

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have one very similar rider. My Dad bought it new in 67'. Only real difference in the steering wheel and flip open hood. My Dad's has a fixed hood and a tiller to steer it. Same fenders, seat pan, a 5 hp B&S engine, transmission and solid tires in the front. My Father's was built bye MTD, that I'm certain of as it shares the same design hood and grill as the 990's.

We haven't used it in years because the transmission let go.

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
They were good leg warmers on a 90°F summer day. Actually leg burners if you were running in tall grass with the governor opened up under heavy load on a hot day. On ours the engine set with the spark plug facing forward. The muffler had a heat shield over it but basically blew into the front of the hood. It was a fixed hood on it with half moon steering wheel. I'm thinking it was 25" cut.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I remember correctly, it had a manufacturer plate that stated something like..
For parts contact Trustworthy divs. Des Moines Iowa.... And yeah 25 inch cut seems about right.. I have a few more pics, it was 2 speed .. F and R, lol...probably worth more to the right person or in parts, it had a very authentic rust hole in the deck you could put a softball thru.
I sold it for 2 bills. Likely never see another. It was named Trustworthy, maybe they derived the name from the engine...?!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts