My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently took the 1985 snapper push mower to the local snapper shop. The older guy who started to work on it said the following.

"Briggs & Stratton never compensated for the dropping of lead out of the fuel when they were building the old school white motors. Therefor you should put a bottle of two stroke oil in a five gallon can of gas in order to compensate for that loss of lead in the gas"

What would you say is the truth/false ratio here? The motor/mower is old...built 12-04-1984...and so far never rebuilt. It does burn some oil. Just kind of curious...thanks ahead of time!

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
It's true that the lead functioned as an important lubricant for the older motors, especially for the valves and valve seats. I don't know that I would put mixing oil in the fuel; that might cause carbon deposits that you don't want. You can get a lead substitute product from Wal-Mart; that would be the safe way to go.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I've never heard that in my life.. I know Lead was a blending additive and a bit of a lubricant.. But Engines can run perfectly fine without it..

As for the oil, Adding a little bit of oil to your gas isn't a bad idea.. Especially on older motors.. A little extra lubrication can never hurt.. provided you use reason..

-Stan

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Well, I know that many engines received modified combustion chambers after the switch to unleaded fuel. Most automotive manufacturers changed their valve seats to more wear and abrasive resistant materials.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Well, I know that many engines received modified combustion chambers after the switch to unleaded fuel. Most automotive manufacturers changed their valve seats to more wear and abrasive resistant materials.
Really? I've never heard that..

I wouldn't really see why that would be Motor.. The valve seat isn't exactly a High Wear part.. Most engines go their entire lives without ever having an issue with the valve seats.. I myself have Never heard of a valve seat even needing to be cleaned on a small engine.. or a car for that matter.. :dunno:

-Stan

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
You are correct, Sir :cool

I spent nearly two years in an automotive machine shop environment doing, mostly, valve set installation both intake and exhaust, replacing valves to Stellite face hardened valves and, when required, new vavle guide installations too. All due to the switch from leaded fuels to unleaded.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
You are correct, Sir :cool

I spent nearly two years in an automotive machine shop environment doing, mostly, valve set installation both intake and exhaust, replacing valves to Stellite face hardened valves and, when required, new vavle guide installations too. All due to the switch from leaded fuels to unleaded.
Well Stack me sideways!

I never knew!

-Stan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts