My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wish I had researched a little more before i bought my D140 last year. Bought it April of 2013, now has 29 hours and seems to have a whine in the transaxle. Is this normal for a K40? Should I go ahead and change the oil in the transaxle?(yes I know it's a rather lengthy task) Overall it has been good so far. My only real complaint is it leaves strips as it cut due being a 3 blade deck and now the whine. I will have to wait for my warranty to expire before I think about upgrading to a k66 trans but it does sound good.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
How much whine are we talking? Hydro's are supposed to have a whine to them. Also, has it whined from the first run, or is it a recent development?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really didn't pay attention to when it started. Just kind of developed between 15-25 hrs maybe. Doesn't matter hot or cold, louder upon initial acceleration. I guess I really noticed it more since reading about tuff torq k40's and k46 trans units. Is it best to refill with a good 10w30 synthetic oil like amsoil or ????. It is still under warranty also.

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
So far I have over 300 hrs on my K46 and it still works like new. It's always had a whine to it. The heavier the load the more the whine. Still has the original oil in it too. :bag:

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Has it's overall performance changed? It's a little hard to diagnose a noise as something loud to one person might be a whisper to another. You mentioned warranty. It might be good to have a mechanic check it if the performance has changed proportionate to the noise.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
I say most all hydros whine , some louder than others

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well that eases my mind a little. Still performs the same. May take it to work one day before spring and change the oil there. Really needed a compact tractor instead of a lawn tractor. Hopefully I will resist using it as a tractor and make it last.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts