My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced the main drive gears in my transaxle, they were shredded after 100 hours of operation. Now the unit will barely pull itself up a hill. I don't want to repair to same as new and only get 100 more hours and I don't really want to go to a k66 and tear up the rest of the mower with all that power. Has anyone ever rebuilt/upgraded to a K57? Someone at tuff torq will do it but the cost is about $600. Any thoughts or advice would be welcomed. Parts are about half the cost but am not sure where additional parts for k57 go.

Thanks for any help!
Rick

·
Administrator
6,234 Posts
Welcome to MLF Rick. :)

I've never saw the details (and I did some more searching tonight for it) on what is required to do an upgrade to a K57. Looks like maybe you can keep your original tire rims which might be part of the cost savings? Also perhaps the engine pulley does not need changed if you have a manual PTO like appears to be the case if you go with a K66 upgrade?

Knock on wood I'm at 9 years and approx 260 hrs on my K46 and it still works like new. But someday I'm sure I will be making the same decision. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
t40/k46 to k57 upgrade

From what I have been able to find, all of the changes are internal. It includes a "charge pump", but it doesn't illustrate well enough how or exactly where it goes. This attachment shows what Duane at Tuff Torq does when he upgrades for about 500-600. If I had more detail, I think I could do this. I have already had to replace the the main drive/differential gears because they were chewed up to the point of popping and skipping teeth from even driving on level ground. Art Font Parallel Circle Drawing

·
Administrator
6,234 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am checking into it, he seems reluctant to give out too much info. He does it on the side (his own time) and makes some extra cash. I unfortunately cant afford to pay that much to fix it but could swing cost of parts and do it myself. It probably goes together just like the K57 does, but I don't have enough detail yet or one in front of me to actually see where it all fits. If I had an old "dead" k57 to take apart I would feel more comfortable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I opened the link you suggested and it sounds interesting. The only problem is, I can't get the pictures to open. I bet they would be helpful. If you can open them and post them it would be awesome.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts