My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lawnmower stalled several times yesterday when I mowed on a slope leaning to the left > 15 degrees. When I got the mower level again, it started and ran fine. Also mowed fine when leaning to the right > 15 degrees. I am suspecting debris in the fuel tank plugging the intake when leaning to the left, or possible fuel filter obstruction or possible electrical short in engine compartment or electrical short in seat safety switch.

Anyone ever have this problem before? Any suggestions where to investigate and fix?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mark - thanks for the reply and video. I am aware of this issue when mowing but I have a narrow edge to a valley (bounded on one side by tall brush) in my yard where I can not run directly up and down. My issue is why the mower stalls when I traverse that slope leaning to the left but it does not stall when I traverse it leaning to the right. The mower is only a little over one year old and runs smoothly in all other situations. I have traversed that narrow slope multiple times leaning both the right or to the left and it never stalled before.

·
Registered
13 Posts
How long at 15 degrees could you go before it stalled? When it stalled, did it act like you shut it off or did it go down with a fight? Was there any smoke when it stalled? How long after getting it level again did it take to start and with how much effort/attempts? Is the oil filled to the proper level? When it's stalled out on the slope and won't start, can you check for spark?
Set the parking brake to start when you're off the seat to check for spark. Make sure you disengage the blade after it stalls.
Most importantly, what is the engine model/serial numbers? There are many members hear much smarter than me and that will help them help you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How long at 15 degrees could you go before it stalled? When it stalled, did it act like you shut it off or did it go down with a fight? Was there any smoke when it stalled? How long after getting it level again did it take to start and with how much effort/attempts? Is the oil filled to the proper level? When it's stalled out on the slope and won't start, can you check for spark?
Set the parking brake to start when you're off the seat to check for spark. Make sure you disengage the blade after it stalls.
Most importantly, what is the engine model/serial numbers? There are many members hear much smarter than me and that will help them help you.
Lefty - I could only run about10-20 seconds before the mower completely stopped. During that time it began choking and smoking and stuttering. When I got it level again (after pushing it onto level ground - maybe 1 minute), I sat for maybe another minute (total time = 2 minutes after stalling) before trying to start it again - it started with no hesitation.

I will check oil - just changed it within last 3 months. Engine is Kawasaki 24-HP SRB3/P V-0112 KAXS.726S2CA

Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Check the fuel level in the tank before doing a bunch of invasive surgery. If the tank does not have enough fuel above the outlet at 15 degrees left, it will run out of gas. At level or leaning right, there may be enough to flow to the engine. Used to happen to me on several machines cutting the side of a ditch that can not be cut any other way. I cut that part of my yard first, with a full tank of gas. Never had a problem since I learned that

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think you may be pulling numbers from the emissions tag. I'm not exactly sure where the numbers are located on your particular engine. Check the rear of the engine for a sticker. It may have a number that starts with "fx" or something like that.

Try this link: Kawasaki Engine Model Number Locator Guide
Lefty - the mower is TS-348XD, product number 96043031900 serial number 091520A005049. The engine is Kawasaki FR730V

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Check the fuel level in the tank before doing a bunch of invasive surgery. If the tank does not have enough fuel above the outlet at 15 degrees left, it will run out of gas. At level or leaning right, there may be enough to flow to the engine. Used to happen to me on several machines cutting the side of a ditch that can not be cut any other way. I cut that part of my yard first, with a full tank of gas. Never had a problem since I learned that
MrSteele - I think you may be on the right track. I believe I was working with a partial fuel tank when it stalled leaning to the left. I cannot see into the bottom of the tank through the fill opening so I cannot see where the fuel takeup exists in the tank, right or left, high or low, etc.... There appears to be a two way valve at the fuel line exit from the tank which may offer a choice of takeup tubes in the tank. I will fill the tank and go test the left lean mowing again to see if it stalls again. Thanks for the reply.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts