My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given a Mid Mount ZTR last weekend and thought I hit it big!

Now Im starting to understand why my cousin just wanted me to haul it away.

It is a Troy Built Mustang ZT50 with the kohler courage 22hp engine.

I know..... not the best built, right?

I got it started and running in 20 minutes with a hot battery and fresh gas.

quickly discovered that the problem with right turns is not a belt issue but a squealing hydro transmission which costs $500 - $800 for the unit only.

unit is not made to be serviceable, but does anyone have experience adding fluid or any other trick to make it work better?

Engine starts with choke and smokes some but then runs good for a minute or two then starts to die like starving for fuel. I replaced the fuel filter. Leave it for a minute and it will start and run again for awhile.

this sounds like a dirty carburetor to me. any other ideas?

this ZTR has 730 hours on it. (high hours)

IF i can get it running reliably and turning both directions what kind of price should i put on it?

thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Welcome first off. That machine is in general good condition looks wise. Carb sounds dirty is all at least it is a running Courage!! I don't know of any tricks with hydro, other than removing it to be able to service it by cracking case if needed to drain fluid.

Reactions: navyjettech

·
Registered
226 Posts
It sells for about $2800.00, new. With warranty and bring it back policy. Even though you got it for free, by the time you get it squared away, you would be lucky to get back what you've put into it.

I would think that 730 hours on a Courage motor would be pretty close to all that you are going to get out of it. That's a lot of wear on a TroyBilt product.

It might be a fun project, but I think it won't be too profitable.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
i would say the coil is bad. i think that you should pull the engine, tires, seat, and deck and scrap th rest, you will be able to make a lot in parts but you will lose money keeping it as a complete mower and fixing it

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
:ditto: On the bad coil. That many hours is real high for a Courage, not to mention a light duty hydro. You might be better off parting it out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am new to ZT mowers and did not know that the belt could slip on one hydro but not the other. The squealing sound was the belt on the pulley!

It turns out that the drive belt was old and a little loose.

when I replaced it, both hydros started working and the unit turned strong up hill in both directions.

after changing plugs, air filter, cleaning the gas tank replacing the fuel filter and dis-assembling the carb and cleaning all passageways it started and ran like a new one.

I sold it for $1,200 and would have gotten more if springtime and lower hours

but thanks to everyone for all the great advice and encouragement...... haha

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
GOOD JOB!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts