My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a troy bilt pushmower I cleaned the carb and the coil and it will start but dies instantly what else could it be ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Drain your gas and check for phase separation and you may want to replace the fuel line while your at it. I've had a few Troybilt mowers present with the same symptoms.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'm working on a troy bilt pushmower I cleaned the carb and the coil and it will start but dies instantly what else could it be ?
Is the autochoke fully closed when the cold engine is started?

Some Honda GCV160 engines had autochoke issues; yours could be one of them, and I can check if you'll share the serial number off the side of the block. It is in the form of "GXXXX-1234567" It is usually etched in with hard-to-see dot-matrix letters, so use a flashlight if needed.

Even though you cleaned the carb, any bit of slime or debris inside the carb can cause a non-start issue. Check out this link for a total Honda carb cleaning procedure:

http://www.mylawnmowerforum.com/forum/44-honda/1945-how-clean-honda-carburetor.html

Sometimes it is faster/easier/cheaper to replace the entire carb if in doubt. Most GCV160 carbs can be bought for <$20. Look-up parts here from Honda's official site:

Honda Power Equipment, Engines and Marine Factory Parts Lookup

Google any part number to find a Honda Dealer selling it online, or use this link to find a Honda Dealer in your area: Find A Honda Dealer

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It has a B&S I got it running now it waiting on it owner. I guess I rush cleaning the carb the first time it been a really bad week for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts