My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know. Why did I buy a Troy Bilt?

The unit is a 2007 Super Branco. I did not to the correct research before I paid $400 for the machine last week. I noticed a whine in the transaxle..but though it may be normal with the varidrive for some reason. I have reached the end of the internet on google searches so I figured I would post up.

I mowed my back yard today(.5 acre) and it did just fine. I didnt notice the whine too much. I let my son dd]rive it and I the whine is really pronounced. So, I elevated the rear and ran the unit. It made no whine. I sat behind it and gently put pressure on each tire and it would begin to whine. I also noticed when I went out to look for a part # that there is grease leaking out from the bottom of the trans. I know this is a sealed unit. Is there a breather that maybe the grease came out while being elevated?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for any help!!

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Well first off, welcome to MLF! We'll try and see what we can do for you. Do you have a model#?
Most of the hydro transaxles have a vent or vent tube on the top of the unit. If not a hydro it may just be packed with a heavy type of water proof grease and completely sealed with no vent. Just FYI

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
13BX60TG766..is the model #. Mine has the non-hydro, grease packed transaxle. Im not too concerned about the grease leaking. Im just wondering if anyone has had a similar situation with the whining and what you replace to fix it. I figure Ill tear it down tomorrow and see if anything looks out of sorts.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Did you rule everything else out? Things like worn belts, worn idler pulleys and I believe there is a variable speed type pulley that slides up and down depending on the speed you have it set at. Hate to see you tear the tranny apart if you don't need to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The drive belts do seem to have quite a bit of wear. However, I would think if the belts or pullyes were worn or slipping that it would cause some loss in performance. It all performs as it should it is just noisy. With the wheels elevated I was able to identify that the noise was coming from the trans-axle. But I will check the pulley in the morning and see about getting some belts as well.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Common areas of wear in those trans axles are input shaft bearings from side load and axle shaft bearings as they are usually not roller type just bushings style and when they go then you get abnormal wear on the beveled gears. This is from my experiences with these.

·
Premium Member
6,119 Posts
Yes, check the belts and each of the pulleys first. Looking at the parts break down, there is also a disc brake and what they call brake pucks attached to the transmission. Take a look around there too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I had nothing better to do today so I removed the trans-axle and disassembled it. I found nothing out of tolerance or visibly worn. I wanted to change belts while I was in there but the mower store was out. I cleaned it up repacked it with grease and installed it. Took it for a spin and it still sounds like an electric can opener. I am just going to go with this trans-axle is loud. I can deal with it as long as it does what it is supposed to. Thanks for the input!

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Well, as long as everything is within tolerance and everything works fine and is safe, you should be good to go. A good set of noise canceling hearing protection might be beneficial. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Make sure to change both drive belts as a set. From what I have seen, they tend to be cranky when running with 1 old and 1 new belt. Also whle belts are off check the center of the variable pulley and make sure it slides up and down smoothly. Front belt is a 5/8 x 91 1/2", the rear is 5/8 x 41 1/2"

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
They really do vary, but do tend to whine a little, some are ridiculous.
My freinds Murry whines like crazy, but still going storng, been whining forever too and its got ALOT of hours on it, and many more to go

My craftsmans hydro is quiet

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.