My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, we are stumped! We got this Troy-bilt pressure washer from my friend Bob. It was a Lowes return, they thought engine was seized, it was just stuck! Bob got it running and gave it to me. Well, when you go and turn it off, sometimes it acts weird. the engine won't turn off, acts like partial ground with switch. We replaced switch a few times, not much change. We ran a new ground, no difference. We sanded down under magneto, thinking a possible ground issue. HELP ARGH!!! LOL :sorry:
Any ideas?? Here is video of what it does! Dad is about to throw it out window!! :angry:

·
Ret. Moderator
498 Posts
Garbage day is Tuesday , you can very gently set it in front of my house for trash day . Why dont you have your friend try a brand new never used one , maybe thats how they work ... it did shut down eventually.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Put it this way, if we paid for it would be real mad! Just like to fix things, Briggs engines normally give us no issues. This one is newer one, seemed like a wiring issue. I am stumped on what it is! Bob has many of these, only one that seems to do this?

·
Registered
130 Posts
My first thought would be a bad connection to the magneto.
What is the amperage that the shut off switch is rated for? The current load could be too high if the switch is rated for say 1amp. I would personally use a 10 amp switch just to be safe.

Chris

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Chris, I checked ohms and resistance. Never thought of current load. The factory switch did the same thing, then tried several different ones, including a brand new one from Supply house. The others were from Bob's other machines. Sometimes it backfires loudly and then other time won't start again! It is a weird issue. I wonder if I could get it warrantied?? Engine is less than year and half old. It was a buy back though, might show on computer?

·
Registered
130 Posts
In the video you can see that the switch is plastic, but is there any chance the switch uses itself as a means to ground to the machine to make the short? In short, when you bolt the switch plate to the machine with a steel conductive screw, does the same occur?

You can always bypass the switch, and switch plate by removing the wires from the switch. With the wires separated the engine will run. With the engine running, touch the two wires together, the engine should stop. If it does not, the switch is out of the question. I would check each wire for resistance, and if necessary increase the gauge of each wire.

I would also check the sparkplug on the unit. It should be a resistive type plug. Grab a RJ19LM Champion, thread it in there and see if that makes any difference. Someone could have changed plugs and mistakenly installed a non-resistive plug.

Chris

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Chris , switch isn't grounded . Wire from one side of switch is to ground. We tried to touch the wires before and same result. I noticed the wires from mag and ground are 18 gage or smaller. I will try that and check plug type!
Thank you
Eric

1 - 7 of 7 Posts