My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a lawn mower but I have an older chip vac. Had a yard full of leaves ready to mulch up Saturday, got 3 bags in and something decided to break somewhere, now I need help.

Back story:
Went to start it, wouldn’t start. Needed a couple doses of starter fluid, got it going. Pulled up to first pile of leaves. RPM’s dropped way down, sounded like something making contact internally and acted like it was getting hot so I shut it down. Added about half a quart of oil, let it sit, started it and it ran better again. Shut it off to empty my 3rd bag of mulch and rather than quit quickly like usual it took forever to stop spinning. Never was able to get it started again after that. The fan or blade that mulches the leaves spins way to free and when you pull the cord, it just acts like you’re winding a top and letting it go and takes a while to stop again.

I don’t know much about the internals of engines. Not sure if we lost all compression and done for good? Maybe a key way that locks the blade and shaft together came out? No idea, just need help.

·
Registered
389 Posts
First think i would do is remove the spark plug, and stick a screwdriver in the plug hole, see if the piston pushes the screwdriver )or whatever object you use) when you pull the cord.
what is the make and model of the engine?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts