My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, I have a Lawnboy model 10685 with the Sensaspeed drive system. I have had it for some time and really like the mower. Last year it became very difficult to start, when pull starting the engine would turn over but it felt as if something internal was bent or something causing drag. It would eventually start but had an incredibly low idle and was slow to respond to the drive input from the handle. Anyway I have been living with it this way until recently it would no longer freewheel when trying to go backward. Both wheels would lock up in reverse. I took the wheels apart and discovered how simple they were but the problem was in the differential. I took it apart and found what looked like it had been a sealed bearing in the top portion of the housing. The seal was floating free and the bearing was bone dry even though the gears inside were well greased. I greased the bearing up and put it back together. The reverse problem was gone and it went back to starting on the first pull and behaving like it used to. Running great. I looked on the parts diagram and only the housing is shown as one part. No listing for the bearing.

So my question is after all of this is the bearing replaceable and does anyone have a part number for it?

I imagine it is just pressed in but I did not look at it at the time I had it apart so I don't know. I never would have guessed the transmission was dragging just enough to keep me from getting the engine started but that's what it was doing.
I just hate to spend 70 bucks for a 5 dollar bearing.
Thanks to all for any help

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
With the engine being joined to the transmission via a belt, I'm going to guess that the fact the bearing being out of place would have put pressure on the pinion that passes through the bearing and kink in the system was then transmitted all the way up to the starter rope.

I took a look at the Lawn Boy parts viewer and looked up model 10685.

https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=LawnBoy

According to it, that model was made from 2005 through 2008. Find the serial number on your mower to check for the correct year. It looks like the final year, 2008, the entire transmission must be replaced as a unit. The other three years show a listing for the individual parts within the transmission, and they all seem to be the same for each year. Here's 2005 as an example. The bearing is Lawn Boy part number 100-1048.

https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=LawnBoy

It most likely is a common bearing that can be found through other sources besides Lawn Boy/Toro. Usually there is a number stamped or printed on the bearing somewhere and you could search for a replacement using that number. One of the pictures I found of the bearing while searching for the Lawn Boy part number, showed it to be a 6203 RS.

When searching for Lawn Boy part number 100-1048, I saw a range of prices from just over $2.00 to $10.00. Prices were pretty much the same searching for 6203RS.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This was like catching a keeper on the first cast. Wow! I could not hope for a better or a more complete answer. I have not investigated your info yet but I seem to remember the mower being in the 07 serial number group I will verify that in the morning. Great answer and good news as well. I will let you know how it turns out.
Thank you,
Bones

1 - 3 of 3 Posts