My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Ariens with a hydrostatic transmission. I have been having some problems with the transmission and have been thinking about trying to find a used transmission that would be geared transmission like maybe a 5 or 6 speed. My question would be, have any of you ever done this type of swap before? I was thinking if I can find a "manual" transmission that came off of the same size mower, maybe the same brand then maybe this will work? Any and all comments will be appreciated.:ThumbUp:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Hi, best bet is to get ALL the linkages and mounts from other machine, or buy a gear machine with bad engine! Then all parts are already there to swap! I might be doing this to a Craftsman with bad gear transaxle to a good hydro I have from same model.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Eric! I went on my lunch break today to the local lawn mower "know-it-all" who is also a Poulan, Husky, everything dealer and he said he was also a Hydrogear "dealer". I asked him if these could be fixed and he said no that it was likely a factory sealed unit and could not be fixed yada, yada, yada. I think these are in fact fixable, maybe not economically if you take them somewhere like Mr. Knowitall, but they can be fixed? He also thought the transmission swapping was a terrible idea.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts