My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 13hp 38" statesman,that is a little more than I need,so I have a chance to trade it for a rear engine craftsman its gray in color 10 hp 30" deck,both are in very good condition,i just thought the rear engine would be better mowing around my house and bushes.are these craftsman older rear engine mower reliable? or should I stay away from it? does anybody know who built them for sears? I don't have the model number,im gonna guess its from the 1980s.it has a bagger on it,which it should be good for picking up leaves this fall.thanks for any advice

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Do you know what engine/trans combo it is? It was most likely made by AYP or Roper. AYP is the parent company of Husqvarna and brands like Poulan, Dixon etc. They are a good small machine. The RER are harder to work on with drive belts and trans, but engine and blade maintenance is great as most could be lifted onto rear hitch plate.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
if it has a tecumseh i wouldnt buy it, craftsman was big on that brand for a long time and not only are they unreliable and prone to throwing rods, parts are hard to fine. on a mower that old i would also be concerned about deck rot

·
Registered
226 Posts
On the Craftsman model #, look for the first three numbers. There should something that looks like: 247.XXXXXX. The first three numbers indicate the manufacturer, in this case, MTD ( Modern Tool and Die ).

131=Rally/Roper
136=Toro
219=MTD
247=MTD
355=RoperOutdoor
359=Bolens Products
380=Moto-Mower
502=Murray Ohio

I'm guessing that's a Murray. Everything else would have rotted away.

·
Registered
499 Posts
If it's a Murray built unit, I'd pass on it. Very tinny and cheaply made! Don't get me wrong, I have owned two Murrays, conventional front engine style, and they've been great. But the one RER by Murray that I had was really not up to par.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts