My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is not exclusive to Craftsman, but because of the slope in my back yard, I frequently have issues with traction. I've tried wheel weights and reducing the tire pressure with minimal success. Often I have to sit on the edge of the seat and lean heavily toward the spinning wheel just to get anywhere. Would it be advisable to replace the stock lawn tires with a set of luggs? I know they tear the lawn up a little but at this stage, I really don't care.

·
Premium Member
7,359 Posts
Time for a locker! :cool:

I would give the ag tires a try. I would run them with the weights as well for even further traction for obvious reasons.

·
Premium Member
6,119 Posts
Maybe a set of rubber chains could help. I've heard of folks using them in the winter on their garden tractors so they don't mark up their blacktop or cement driveways, so they may just work on turf as well.

Here's a couple of examples that came up when I googled rubber chains.

Amazon.com: 26x12.00x12 Rubber Tire Chains Garden Lawn Tractor: Everything Else

http://www.rubbertirechains.com/rubber-tire-chains-c-4.html

http://www.weaversinfo.com/Price sheets/Tire chains/rubber_tire_chains.htm

Rubber Tire Chains - The traction solution that will not scratch your drive!

They are kind of pricey, but the last time I looked at the price of lugs, I was sort of taken back, and at least the rubber chains could easily be removed and you still have your turf tires on.

Another alternative, and you could do some more research, is something like an ATV tire. Again, I've of read others who have used them on their garden tractors with good results. They have amore aggressive tread than turf tires, but not as severe as lugs, and I believe they can cost less than lugs too.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
I got 4 wheeler tries on the back of one of my Snappers, they never slip and do not hurt the yard either

·
Premium Member
6,119 Posts
Thanks 89yt12. I knew there'd be somebody with first hand experience in the group. Did you consider lugs also, and if you did, what was the price comparison? I'm also curious on this one for my own garden tractor.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Just keep in mind if you don't get the slippage/tranny problem resolved, the extra traction will be a moot point. I like the ATV tire idea, they are more forgiving on the yard.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
i got them on a close out sale, so they were dirt cheap.

but beats all heck out of the turfs :cool

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.