My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a trac vac 580 that I'm trying to get running again. I've tried a variety of pullers and slap hammers with no success.

• I HAVE removed the setscrew.
  • I've been soaking it daily with penetrating oil.
  • Tried heating it with a torch and then cooling it
  • Tapped it with a hammer.
  • Tried a variety of pullers and slap hammers including the HF 100 dollar set. The problem is that that cuts for the puller are very shallow. I took one of the pullers and ground down the profile a bit which helps but it still slips. There are six puller indentations which allows a 2 jaw or three jaw puller.
  • It is a woodruff key
Wheel Wood Automotive tire Rim Terrestrial plant

My questions are

1. How much heat can I put on the turbine?? I saw videos where guys heated a shaft for 5 minutes with Mapp gas. Supposedly the turbine is not hardened. It does ring when I tap it.

2. The engine is dead. I'm wondering if I can disassemble it allowing me to tap the shaft out.

3. I am planning to replace the engine with a Harbor freight predator. I'm not sure if it will match up or not. Has anyone done this? The predator is still in the box

Thanks, I appreciate any thoughts, especially as to the amount of heat I can apply.

Wheel Wood Automotive tire Rim Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
56 Posts
Use an air hammer with a blunt\pointed end that fits the divit in the shaft. Heat the turbine until close to cherry and lightly pull on the turbine as you hammer the shaft. Is there any room to drive the turbine on slightly more? If so, using a socket the same size as the turbine hub, tap it on more to maybe loosen it up. Then use the air hammer to bring forward.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I finally got it off.. But I did it more along the lines of a psychotic butcher than a surgeon.

I tried heating, cooling, a whole bunch of pullers, Hitting the hub with an air hammer, etc.

I tried to open up the engine housing as the engine was shot but realized getting at the hardened crankshaft would be an issue.

Then I got the brilliant idea of drilling holes across the turbine to try to split it in half. Well, not so brilliant as there is a heavy hub at the center.

I tried drilling out the woodruff key and ended up mangling the shaft.

At this point I had nothing to grab with a puller. I could get some whacks in with a slap hammer.

I got a crowbar under the turbine and kept rattling it. I made a little progress. I noticed that the remains of the woodruff key were in place so I pulled that with a needlenose. After some more prying with the crowbar IT FINALLY CAME OFF. Amazingly there was no damage to the housing.

Plant Automotive tire Botany Road surface Grass

Automotive tire Plant Grass Automotive wheel system Auto part

I purchased a new turbine for about $200 from trac vac. It came with the woodruff and set screw.

Working now on the rest of the restore. Buy stock in Rustoleum
Plant Automotive tire Botany Road surface Grass
Automotive tire Plant Grass Automotive wheel system Auto part

·
Registered
56 Posts
Suggestion for the paint process. After removing as much old paint and rust and cleaning, use an etching primer on all bare metal and red oxide on everything else. I have become a firm believer in truck bed liner, either spray or brush on. It adheres well and takes the abuse that deck undersides, footwells, etc. gets. I have a whole mower deck, top and bottom, sprayed with that for 3 years now and not a chip anywhere. That turbine housing looks like a good candidate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Suggestion for the paint process. After removing as much old paint and rust and cleaning, use an etching primer on all bare metal and red oxide on everything else. I have become a firm believer in truck bed liner, either spray or brush on. It adheres well and takes the abuse that deck undersides, footwells, etc. gets. I have a whole mower deck, top and bottom, sprayed with that for 3 years now and not a chip anywhere. That turbine housing looks like a good candidate.
I'll definitely give that a try. THanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts