My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
22" self propelled, 2 yrs old, small yard not many hours used. 1st or 2nd pull started before. Drained gas, added new, removed air filter. Most likely suspect anyone? Thanks in advance.

Maurice

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MIGHT want to check to see if the plug needs replacement. or if and safety feature is not working.
Thanks Powershift. Would you happen to know where to check the safety switch? Would it be the cable coming from the metal bar that you hold to keep mower on?

Maurice

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Did you drain the gas at the end of last year's mowing season, or leave gas in it during the winter storage?

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Then like PS93 suggested, it might be time to replace the spark plug and do a general tune up, and replace the air filter and change the oil too.

Does yours have a primer bulb or manual choke?

Mowers will collect dirt and grass in odd places under the shroud over time, so you may want to remove the shroud from the top of the engine and see if there's stuff stuck somewhere keeping things from working as they should.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Someone suggested "mechanic in a bottle" from home depot, so I followed directions and will wait until morning to try it. Thought I had a socket to fit plug in mower but don't. If still doesn't work will get one and see if there is spark. I think there is from the past experience, drained gas, put new and it fired up. Maybe tarnish sat longer this time.
Will post results. thanks!

Maurice

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
no the right plug for that mower if its a brigg or tecumseh flathead is an ngk br2lm. i highly recommend the ngk br2lm over the champion equivalent

·
Registered
730 Posts
you're skipping the important check..Is there spark at the plug wire? You don't have to wait for tools to remove plug...should be able to pull recoil enuf while holding the wire to ground [maybe thru a long screw or bolt to fit]...If no spark, disconnect the kill wire at the flywheel brake and try again...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Check the bail brake. yeah that handle thing you hold down. or post some pics. so I can have a looksee. use a NGK-BKR5E PLUG. I THINK THAT IS THE RIGHT NUMBER??????????????/
I looked at cable from handle running down to metal lever that moves spring connected to..... Moves normally, how to I check if it is working properly?

Maurice

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mechanic in a bottle no go. After work will check for spark, but my guess is it is not that. Also will look at plug.

Maurice

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
What is the model number of your mower? That and a picture or two are worth a thousand words when it comes to trying to help you out. Best bet on getting the correct spark plug is to read your owner's manual, and get the one it says for your mower.

·
Banned
343 Posts
I looked at cable from handle running down to metal lever that moves spring connected to..... Moves normally, how to I check if it is working properly?

Maurice
THE bail brake grounds it out at the coil. post a vid of this problem that is presenting itself to us... and forget about swill in a bottle. it ain't worth a hill of baked beans. more than likely it is a 5/8 plug socket.:wwp::wwp:

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
also put a teaspoon of gas down the plug hole with a new bpr6es spark plug. if it runs then its a carb or an autochoke issue. if it starts off that teaspoon of gas and continues to run then you definitely have an autochoke problem

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1/2 PULL

Drained, put 89 octane rather than 87, seafoam. Started effortlessly. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Guess the octane was too low. Seafoam didn't have a chance to get to where it would do good as I pulled right after adding.

Maurice

1 - 18 of 18 Posts