My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
first post, so easy on the newbie

I have a timecutter 16-44 zero turn with a Briggs 16.5HP engine, a month ago coming around a turn I felt the engine struggling so I turned it off, and it wouldn't restart after that. Got a new battery and plug, then tried a number of diagnostics but still no luck. Brought in the pros, they towed it away and diagnosed the problem as a seized engine. Haul and diagnosis was $125, repair will be $1600. Old mower so $1600 is more than I will spend, also the hydros on the right side is starting to go. Everything else seems to work fine, my yard is about an acre so light work each year. Is this mower worth fixing on my own? I have limited experience with small engines, but my friends tell me it's not difficult to replace a mower engine.

I've spoken to Northern Tools and think they have some replacements for a few hundred dollars. I don't want to scour the classified for a used engine so new or refurbished would be my preference.

like I've said, I'm new to major mower repairs like this, so any recommendations would be appreciated, thanks all

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Welcome! Great to have you at MLF!:howdy:
It's not hard to replace the engine on a mower. The most important factors are shaft size and mounting bolt configuration. I would recommend going with the same brand of engine to simplify wiring and setup.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome! Great to have you at MLF!:howdy:
It's not hard to replace the engine on a mower. The most important factors are shaft size and mounting bolt configuration. I would recommend going with the same brand of engine to simplify wiring and setup.
Well yeah, Northern says that on the website. So, just buy from them, no other advice/help?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quoted repair of $1600 sounds way too high...for a Briggs 16HP replacement...unless it's also covering the weak hydro..?
Not difficult at all for you to do the engine replacement...Good Luck..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I was floored by the estimate for only the engine replacement, NJ prices is the guess

Since all agreed this isn't too difficult and I do consider myself relatively mechanically handy, I'll make this my winter project

I'd like to also tackle the hydro problem, which I think is more complicated finding a replacement

Northern noted a few specs to note on the engine including the model#
1) horizontal or vertical
2) bolt pattern
3) horsepower
4) shaft size (length and diameter)
5) shaft type (straight/tapered/threaded)

anything else? also should I first try to unseize the engine or don't bother?

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
It's really not a big deal. If you get a similar Briggs motor with the same shaft size, an afternoon should suffice to swap the engine out. You can try to unseize the engine with diesel fuel or penetrating oil, but, unless you get really lucky, it'll probably need the bore honed and a new ringset and maybe a piston.

·
Registered
730 Posts
If the eng is Intek series with AVS..[anti-vibration Sys]...I wouldn't bother trying to unstick it, as the massive counterweight is probably stuck...But, it's some thing to explore for a rainy day ... or give it a quick try while it's still mounted...Couple of past times, a soak with Kroil worked for me...along with a long breaker bar/socket...if not a AVS built eng...I would also consider a used BS eng purchase, CL...As I'm wondering if your Hydro will be fixable, and $$ will be high...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no the engine is older a OHV series
got the mower back yesterday and the model# is 31177
thinking of going with Northern for a replacement?
any other suggestions on where I can easily source a replacement

1 - 9 of 9 Posts