My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow small engine repair qurus,

My used toro time cutter I purchased 2 years ago on the craigslist will not start today. I initially thought it was the battery so I charged it then when it still would not start I took to autozone and it check out good and charged, When I hit the key there is a click and then a slow dragging starter sound that bearly turns it over. But not enough to start. Then sometimes it doesn't even turn over and hit the key again and get another slow drag. any thoughts? Thanks Jack

· Registered
20 Posts
How old is the battery? Do you keep it on a battery maintainer / tender when not in use? My bets are the battery can't handle a load anymore. Even though I'm not a fan of Walmart they do have good prices on a mower type battery. Next, I would pull the starter and spray the brush area down with brake cleaner. Perhaps the brushes are hung up in the holders and not getting full current to the armature.

· Registered
20 Posts
Oh one more thought..... After the battery in the string is the starter solenoid then the starter motor. The solenoid contacts could be burnt or have carbon build up on them lowering the amperage going to the starter. But no easy way to inspect for that since it's pretty a sealed unit. Again, a fairly cheap replacement part.... basically, an old Ford style starter solenoid. Good luck in your diagnosis.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mr Paul, I'm thinking you are right. Even though I charged a 1.9 year old battery and autozone's machine said it was good I'm still thinking battery. I'll put the jumper cables on it and go from there. And "no" I do not keep it on a maintainer. Just sits in the cold until next season. Thanks again!! Jack

· Registered
20 Posts
Battery being almost 2 years old with no maintainer / tender will big time self discharge and sulfate the plates. There might be 12 volts (maybe) but won't take a starter load. Was at the local Menard's the other day and they also have pretty good prices on mower type batteries. My Harleys with a big $$$ battery without a tender would not last more than 2 - 3 years tops sitting over the winter. With a tender now get easy 5 years. Not up to spending $150 every couple years for a new battery when a $20 tender (Menards had them on sale last week) will save and float top up the battery. Good luck to you.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hello fellow small engine repair qurus,

My used toro time cutter I purchased 2 years ago on the craigslist will not start today. I initially thought it was the battery so I charged it then when it still would not start I took to autozone and it check out good and charged, When I hit the key there is a click and then a slow dragging starter sound that bearly turns it over. But not enough to start. Then sometimes it doesn't even turn over and hit the key again and get another slow drag. any thoughts? Thanks Jack

· Registered
135 Posts
Try jumping from the battery Pos to the starter motor connection. If this does well then either there is a dirty battery connection or a bad solenoid. If replacing the solenoid, make sure the mounting is very clean and clean the battery connections. If jumping it does not help, try pulling the plugs and see how it turns. Bad starter motor or even value adjustment.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Battery being almost 2 years old with no maintainer / tender will big time self discharge and sulfate the plates. There might be 12 volts (maybe) but won't take a starter load. Was at the local Menard's the other day and they also have pretty good prices on mower type batteries. My Harleys with a big $$$ battery without a tender would not last more than 2 - 3 years tops sitting over the winter. With a tender now get easy 5 years. Not up to spending $150 every couple years for a new battery when a $20 tender (Menards had them on sale last week) will save and float top up the battery. Good luck to you.
You were right Mr Paul, picked up battery today and she fired right up 👍😊

· Registered
20 Posts
You were right Mr Paul, picked up battery today and she fired right up 👍😊
Good to read that JSMathis.... my last suggestion is that if you store to mower where there is no electrical outlet to charge then I suggest you pull the battery and get a battery tender and plug it in even if in a basement or shed with extension cable over the cold storage months. Walmart / China Freight have a variety of tenders. I have 3 Schumachers rated at 1.5 amp for my rider and cars that I have in storage mode. Best of luck to you. Paul

1 - 9 of 9 Posts