My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
trying to find out why the deck rides low. Been reading manuals but can’t find any way to adjust it.. When lowered it sets on ground, when raised it’s about 2.5 inches. I’m scalping my grass. Any suggestions welcomed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
here is a link to Toro's web site for the operators manual. Page 34 describes the leveling procedure.
Toro SS4235 operator's manual (link)
Thanks, but I’ve got it leveled. Just can’t get deck more then about 2.5 inches above driveway. Tires are aired up, and the handle that lifts deck is all the way up to 4. I’ve looked at all the pieces, all seem normal. lifting brackets and lever look good. This is a 2014 model, 74633. Viewing the manual, I don’t see anywhere that I can change it. If nothing else works, I guess I’ll have to put larger tire on it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Thanks, but I’ve got it leveled. Just can’t get deck more then about 2.5 inches above driveway.
Sounds like perhaps when you leveled it you were near the bottom of the adjustment range. I'd start off by carefully going through the leveling procedure and insuring that you're close to the top of the range. Use the Service Manual here: Parts – TimeCutter SS 4235 Riding Mower | Toro and change the serial number range to match yours.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like perhaps when you leveled it you were near the bottom of the adjustment range. I'd start off by carefully going through the leveling procedure and insuring that you're close to the top of the range. Use the Service Manual here: Parts – TimeCutter SS 4235 Riding Mower | Toro and change the serial number range to match yours.
Thanks for the manual link, I hadn’t been able to get the 2014 year/model number, but specs look the same. OK, from what I can see, the only way I can see too adjust the HOC is by way of “lower lift bar” and “deck hangers”, also used to level the deck. I have the hangers nearly to their lowest position and when moving the HOC lever to lowest position, deck sets on drive, and when raised to 4.5 position, blades(new) set 2.5 inches above drive. Lower lift lever appears newish/undamaged and hangers are ok too. The only thing that I can think may be out of tolerance is the HOC lever or the guide it moves in. I’m sure I’m missing something that should just slap me in the face, just haven’t seen it yet.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have the hangers nearly to their lowest position
You want them higher, as discussed above. Start the leveling process over again with the 4 locking nuts at the top of their travel and adjust down from there.
Font Parallel Elbow Auto part Line art
Font Parallel Rectangle Auto part Drawing

Reactions: laser3kw

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You want them higher, as discussed above. Start the leveling process over again with the 4 locking nuts at the top of their travel and adjust down from there.
View attachment 62774 View attachment 62775
Thanks, I think I miss spoke. The brackets are slide down, toward the deck, about as far as they will go. In other words, the rear locking nut/bolt is near the top of the slot it rides in. Is that wrong?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Since there's some confusion, you'd do better to post pictures of all the deck mounting points at the deck and at the frame.
Ok, dug a little deeper and left hanger bracket mounting point on the deck doesn’t have elongated slot for side locking nut/bolt travel. Leaving it out, I can adjust deck to obtain 3.5 inch cutting heigh. So it’s been abused perhaps. Also, the rear lift bar has 1/8 inch or better grove worn in it where in contacts the hanger bracket. Looking at the bar in the parts catalog, looks like it could be mounted either way, so if I reverse the ends, that just might be nought to get even closer to 4 inches.
Font Parallel Rectangle Art Drawing

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, dug a little deeper and left hanger bracket mounting point on the deck doesn’t have elongated slot for side locking nut/bolt travel. Leaving it out, I can adjust deck to obtain 3.5 inch cutting heigh. So it’s been abused perhaps. Also, the rear lift bar has 1/8 inch or better grove worn in it where in contacts the hanger bracket. Looking at the bar in the parts catalog, looks like it could be mounted either way, so if I reverse the ends, that just might be nought to get even closer to 4 inches.
View attachment 62776
After digging in I found that both lift brackets were worn, right one more then left. Also found lift links were worn too. I think when I replace these parts, deck should ride like it’s suppose to. Thanks for all the help and ideas, this is my first Zero turn, and I’ve learned a lot. Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts