My Lawnmower Forum banner
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I tried finding videos, but couldn't. How does the governor spool and gear go together? I am assuming the 2nd pic with the governor spool lifted on the other pieces and not sitting on the gear. Cause the 2 pieces move vs it sitting on the gears, but am not sure. Also I busted the old one off, cause I couldn't get the gear off. How do I get the new washer, and gear on? Looks like a lot of force to me, but just want to make sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
Good news / bad news
Good news is the second picture is the correct way to install the spool on the gear.
Bad news: Tecumseh switched the shaft that the gear slides onto. It use to have to c-clips, one to hold the spool and a lower one that retained the gear. The newer style, 30574A, eliminated the lower clip and instead formed a bulge in its place (I did not know that). What does that mean? Tecumseh assembled the gear and washer on the shaft and then pressed it into the sump cover!
To replace the gear / shaft, I would take it to a small engine shop and have them do it. The shaft is splined where it is pressed into the cover so it can not be twisted while pulling out.
If I had to do it, I might try a couple of different methods. Heating the cover to a high temp and pulling. Or maybe drilling a hole through the outside and pushing the shaft out. I would have to see the cover to determine if that is possible (having to plug the hole afterwards). I have heard of some instance where the procedure is to put the part in boiling wart to soften it just enough where it will push over the hump, but I don't know if that applies here. I'll have to research this some more to find the preferred method.
Sorry this wasn't easier. Don't give up yet.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Ok, thanks. I could always remove that bulge, and try to make a slot for a c-clip. If they make one that small.
That's what I don't get, the original "30574" HAD that groove and clip!
Something for you to consider - if you remove most the bulge, why do you need anything to retain the gear? Or, why do you need a groove? A tight fitting c-clip slide down over the shaft will have enough "grip" to help keep the gear from floating outward. In operation, as the gear spins, the flyweights force the spool out against the lever (while pushing the gear back towards the washer underneath it), while the lever has a spring with a opposing force pushing back. Plus, the gear and spool are trapped between the sump cover and block boss anyway. I know other manufactures, like Briggs, do not restrain the governor gear at all. The only thing I can think is maybe they were thinking the gear might add a little more thrust and add influence to the spool motion.
You be the judge. I don't have the parts to analyze and make a definitive decision.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I used my dremel got that bump removed, and got the new washer over it. It still has a little bump for the gear to stop on, and the governor spool has a bump at the top that it stops at. I put the 2 engine pieces together, and looks like the governor spool rests on the metal governor thing in the engine. Not much room for stuff to move.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Got the clip installed, and just got my gaskets. The engine is easy to turn by hand though. I can see the valves moving in and out, and they look good. Should i continue to put it together? I made sure all the parts went back the same way they came apart. The cam is timed, and the ball on the end is in the slot in the other part of the engine. That was a trick, but got it all together.

I have to get a bolt for the head somehow one is missing, but probably missing from the start, cause I noticed a few different bolts that don't belong cause this was ripped apart before. Found out some compression is leaking through the head from missing 2 bolts, cause I was going to go to the hardware store for another, but changed my mind to get the perfect bolt. I reattached the carburetor which helped compression as well. Might just need put back together completely, and tested.

Hoping I didn't sand down the mower, and repaint it for nothing. Trying to make this mower look, and run like new.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I wouldn't chance getting this far and then not replace the head gasket and the correct bolts. If the bolts aren't length they might cause a sealing problem. If bolts are missing, the head gasket is probably blown and that is where you are loosing compression. I would also pull the valve cover and check the valve lash to make sure the valves haven't sunk and cause them to not seal.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I did replace the head gasket, and tomorrow getting the other bolt needed for it. Oem bolt. I did pull the valve cover, and replaced that gasket as well. Not sure how to check the valve lash or how to see if they sunk.

·
Registered
210 Posts
with the valve cover off, insert a feeler gage between the tip of the valve stem and the tip of the lifter you should have between .005"~ .009". Less than .002" might give you trouble down the road if the valve sinks any more. More than .009" may give you hard pull starting.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
Here is another video.
I got the bolt for the head, and thats installed. I didn't get the feeler gauges yet. Just got back from vacation. I got a new flywheel nut, but the threads are a little messed up on the threaded end. Do you happen to know what size that would be to just get 1 rethreader for that? Also in the video I show how easy it is to turn yet. Not sure if thats normal without oil in it?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Do you happen to know what size that would be
I believe the thread is 1/2-20(tpi). Best take the nut to a hardware store and check it on a bolt.
That still turns over like there is a valve open / leaking. It should fight you somewhat. You could squirt some oil into the cylinder just so there is some lube there as you turn it over. Did you get a picture of the valves when the head was off?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I believe the thread is 1/2-20(tpi). Best take the nut to a hardware store and check it on a bolt.
That still turns over like there is a valve open / leaking. It should fight you somewhat. You could squirt some oil into the cylinder just so there is some lube there as you turn it over. Did you get a picture of the valves when the head was off?
Ok, will do that than. I didn't take a picture with the head off. I'll take that off, and take a picture.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts