My Lawnmower Forum banner

Toro Proline blades disengage

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  TJ1 
#1 ·
I just purchased a Toro Proline 48 (Model 30180) with a Kohler 16 Magnum (model MV16s). I believe it is a 1995. I purchased because I have a good pitch to my lawn and was tired of using a 21 inch mower. The mower runs great when going down the hill but as soon as I turn and it start to go up the hill the blades disengage. They shut down and only come back on when i turn around or get to a flat part of the lawn. I was looking for a loose wire but did not find anything. Was wondering if it was some kind on safety or if it is electrical. I can also get it to disengage when I tip the mower back. Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance!

#3 · (Edited)
Welcome to the group TJ1. I looked up the owner's manual on Toro's site for your machine. I didn't find anything other than the usual cautions about operating on inclines. Nothing about it shutting off when going up hill. But there are such things on riders that shut the blades off when backing up, so I suppose it is possible that this is a built in safety feature on yours too. The local Toro dealer ought to be able to answer that question pretty quickly with a phone call. Looking at the wiring schematic, there is a clutch switch, a bail switch and a relay in the line to the blade clutch. Maybe there is something going on inside one of those that is causing the issue. Is it possible to remove them and change their angles to test them in your garage while the mower is stationary? The manual does have a pretty extensive section on testing the interlocking functions of all the controls that might be worth going through too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.