My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought this lawn tractor used....was running find when i bought it...2007 model. But now for some reason, it's blowing the 20 amp fuse and then dies. Looked for wiring shorts...can't find any.... thought the rectifier/regular was bad,,,put a new one on, still doing the same thing.....anyone seen this problem before,,,,,,,it has a kohler engine. Thinking it may be the electronic monitor module...

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, David in Raleigh, NC

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Welcome to MLF, glad to have you.
Does it blow immediately upon starting or when operating it or when you engage the pto ?

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
If you have checked all of your wires to make sure that none of them are grounding out, you could have an alternator that is going bad. I have seen the plates that have the windings expand from rust and caused the alternator to make contact with the magnets on the inside of the flywheel. It definitely sounds more like a short though where something is grounding out causing the fuse to blow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help! I will double check wiring for shorts and pull the flywheel. Since i posted, I started checking switches. The main key switch appears to have an unexpected reading with it in one of the run modes between terminals used in that mode. Do these switches go bad often?..this is a 2007 mower.

Thanks again for taking the time to help!!

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Six year old switch, it is possible. dirt, rain, condensation can easily accumulate and cause the contacts to go bad. I had the same thing happen with a switch on an old snapper do that same thing (Blowing Fuses) and when I took it off you could shake it and hear a piece of a contact rattling around. Let us know how it turns out and good luck with the hunt. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm guessing some where along the line you boosted tour tractor. This causes a short in the charging system almost every time. so solenoid or starter i'd think

1 - 7 of 7 Posts