My Lawnmower Forum banner

Toro Colt. 1950's 3 wheeler

10K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  Kiss4aFrog 
#1 ·
Found this at the end of a driveway, with a free sign.
Here is a first view.

Figured I would start a restoration thread.

#2 ·
This is excellent!! Thanks for taking the time to make the video and give us walk through of the current state that she's in before the project commences. It's great that you've taken the interest to restore it and better yet, plan to use it for mowing! :cool Looking forward to subscribing and watching the project unfold. :ThumbUp:

It couldn't have gone to a better a home!

#4 ·
What is the point of owning it if you are not going to use it?
It could have gone to someone who know what they were doing. I am good with computers, not so much with internal combustion. I guess it is as good a time as any to learn. :)

It's great that you've taken the interest to restore it and better yet, plan to use it for mowing! :cool Looking forward to subscribing and watching the project unfold. :ThumbUp:

It couldn't have gone to a better a home!

#5 ·
What is the point of owning it if you are not going to use it?
Couldn't agree more. :ThumbUp:
It could have gone to someone who know what they were doing. I am good with computers, not so much with internal combustion. I guess it is as good a time as any to learn. :)
That's not true, you saw life in it and that's all that matters!

It's nice to start out working on something that's simpler in design compared to a lot of modern machines. Take lots of pictures and make notes during disassembly. We'll be here to help in anyway we can. :2th:

#6 ·
Thanks for posting the video! :2th:

You'll want to get a cushion for that seat if you spend any time on it. :D

If you have a general farm supply store in the area like Tractor Supply we have local they might have one. The old Springfield rider we had on the farm had a seat like that on it. I used folded blanket, foam, whatever I could find that was soft. ;)

#7 ·
That thing is so cool!! So glad you saved it!! Such a simple machine!

#8 ·
Fantastic! Thanks for the walk through there Robert. A note of caution, you might want to keep your garage door closed and locked, because now that I know there's one of those old Colts out there....well, just sayin'

This is going to be fun to follow, and I hope our enthusiasm here encourages you. Feel free to ask any questions you have about getting that engine back into running order. We've got a lot of fine folks here who can help you out.

You can decipher the code on the Briggs and Stratton engine. It will tell you a lot about the engine itself, including a date of manufacture.

Identifying Engine Manufacture Date | Briggs FAQ

#10 ·
bwdbrn1, Garage door is closed, locked, and the alarm is active. :)
A couple more discoveries.
There is a petcock under the fuel tank. I have not seen that on a mower before.
The "clutch" is really rather unusual. Instead of what most of us would understand as a clutch, it separates the two halves of the pulley attached to the motor, allowing the belt to slip past easily.

I might do a video on the clutch later.

#13 ·
I am glad so many people like my machine.
I was afraid someone would tell me it was a common, worthless piece of junk.

Unfortunately, I will be traveling for work the rest of this week, so there will be no progress this week. :( But I gotta work to make the money to be able to afford to fix it up.

#16 · (Edited)
Hey, that's great! There's all the specs about it right there so getting it back into shape will be a lot easier. Looks like the controls on yours might be located a bit differently.

Don't know about their claim of it being as easy and relaxing as your car, though. Blazing across your lawn at a 4.6 mph clip might be a real hoot.

Now all you got to do is find yourself a bowling shirt, polish up the loafers and freshen up the crease in the trousers and you'll be all set to mow in proper fashion like that fellow on the flyer.:cool

#17 ·
That's pretty neat they were willing to dig out some of their history! :ThumbUp:
You don't see the same writing in ads today like they were written back then.

#19 ·
Looks like dried out gas and additives!? A good cleaning will God willing get her running!!

#22 · (Edited)
Patience, time and carb cleaner. It might take a few repeated efforts, and soaking, to get it done.

If you don't have a carb cleaning tool similar to this, they can be very valuable for cleaning out the jets. You can find them a lot of places, this is just an example.

http://www.amazon.com/Supply-Carb-Cleaner-Kit-35-3498/dp/B001DDMB2I

Take a look at this site that has information regarding Briggs and Stratton carbs. There might be something there that will help you out in getting that one of yours cleaned up.

http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/#id_briggs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.