My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this will by my first pick up on the side of the road. I was so exciting beyond words when me and my wife arrived home from the store. I spotted a push mower out by the street at a neighbors house. A new toy? Could it be free? Then it's for me! :cool

IMG_1295.jpg

IMG_1296.jpg

IMG_1297.jpg

IMG_1298.jpg

I think the way Toro UPC's read the model is the last 5 digits. Which would make this a #20005. I was able to find what I need on the website. It only split one of 2 ways. Either it's a 2005 or 2006 model. It's asking for the serial number and I'm not sure where to find.

First things first I can't see anything if it's covered in oil and dirt so I'll give it a bath to start with a clean slate.

When I talked to the guy that owned it he confirmed it's purchase was what he was thinking to be 14 years ago. He owned it for 4 and thought his dad owned it for 10. I believe Toro support website. What happened was last week when he was mowing it starting smoking. Black smoke. So he shut it off. He says his brother came over and looked at it and took a part off of it. This so far I haven't determined what was removed. Second he said he was going to purchase the gear and belt to repair the self propelled portion. Not sure what this requires of me either? :dunno:

It does run, but all in all I don't know what I'm getting into here. Black smoke? Engine job? Self-propelled parts? If anyone has any experience with this model Toro mower I would appreciate any help or advice you can share! :idea:

I don't plan on spending a lot of money on this mower. I relish the idea of having my very own semi-broken push mower to work on and put back into service. I've got all the time to spare..... :2th:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
YEA!! Now you get to be a picker too!! :) ;);)
:sidelaugh:sorry::howdy::dunno::bag:
Ok, you know it runs! Black smoke is normally extra fuel choking engine!! Clean carb or sticking auto choke? You can get used carb or new on EBAY. Your golden Brian! Just mess with is slowly and bet you will have a sweet spare mower or a first time seller!? :2th::howdy::ThumbUp:
BTW there should be a model/serial number sticker somewhere, that sticker is for the store I think!

Reactions: wh55 and bwhitsonjr

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
black smoke is normally a sign of running to rich, my guese is they tipped it on the wrong side to service or clean something and flooded out the air filter with oil, especially considering all the oil and crap thats on the deck. try running it without the air filter and see if it runs any better. you wouldnt believe how many free mower i get because of soaked air filters, bad carb diaphragms or bad gas. sometimes you get people that dont add gas to their mower and wonder why it doesnt run, then trash it. happens all the time where i live and their an easy 50 bucks in the summer

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I think I located where the missing part was taken from....

What I don't know is what was taken? I'm guessing it's air filter.

IMG_1299.jpg

IMG_1301.jpg

Like Eric said I should be able to scoop up some used parts for this mower. I'm not sure the shape of the carb at this point. Might just drop the bowl and give it a good spray with carb cleaner. Change the oil. Put some fresh gas and add fuel treatment and see how it runs after.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Congrats! Looks like you're on your way to being hooked!:cool

Like Eric said, there should be a sticker somewhere on the deck of the mower other than that upc code thing that shows the model and serial number. Also, like 43128 suggested, somebody probably tipped it up with the carb on the down hill side. Shouldn't do that. Always tip a mower like that with the carb on the up hill side.

I'm thinking you're on the right track. Looks like whoever took the air cleaner box off to see if they could make things better, gave up and didn't think to put it back on. Why not see if the neighbor can retrieve it for you, unless it went out with last week's garbage pick up.

Have fun. You'll have that one shined up and mowing in no time.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Yup missing air cleaner and cage!! Bet 43128 is right on! Get new air cleaner and cage and they just slide on! Bet it needs sharpened blade and oil change! If it runs kinda funny like it is out of time or pulls your arm back when you pull start it , possible sheared keyway on flywheel. Common to find them thrown out with that around here!

Reactions: wh55 and bwdbrn1

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
On second look, after poking around a bit, it looks like that number, 20005 might just be the model number of your mower. I was looking at the parts break down when my internet connection to Toro went all haywire and wouldn't open anything up. But like you had said, it looks like it might be a 2005 or 2006 model, and have a Tecumseh Lv195ea-362003b engine. If and when Toro sees fit to let me look some more, I'll see what else I can find for you.

Edit:

O.K., switched computers and found the lost connection. Take a look at Toro's master parts viewer and see if things look right to you using 20005 as the model number. From the little bit that I can see it looks like you are missing part # 245 and 250 in one of the engine diagrams, and maybe a screw or two. That's the air filter and cover.
https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro&lang=us_en

Here's a picture I plucked off of the inter web of a model 20005 showing that side of the engine.

Air filter
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/part/tecumseh/36905

Air filter cover
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/ja...cumseh/37122?gclid=cmrclicjhmwcfzocfgodzgknwq

·
Registered
650 Posts
I have about the same toro just mine is rear wheel drive, engine looks to be the same...only problem I have at times is it wont start after sitting for a few days, the primer bulb on mine is basically shot so all I do is shoot a little starting fluid in carb and it starts right up...after that i'm good to go, I should probably repair or replace the carb but thinking about getting something else along the lines of a Honda or at least an aluminum deck, anyway great find especially for free . get the bugs out , clean her up and I bet it will be a great machine for you

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys! Gives me some homework to do. Unfortunately he said his brother came over to see what was wrong and he told him since he wasn't going to be using it anymore he was just going to rob a part off of it.

Thanks for the link Bruce! I'll get those coming to me and check other things out on it in the meantime.

43218 I haven't had time to run it again but as you may see by now the filter and holder is completely gone so I'll crank it up first chance I get and see how it acts.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just want to get a second pair of eyes on this part I'm fixing to order.... Carb for this push mower. Cheaper than I thought!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Does the part number match Bryan? If so check EBAY too! Might be a hair cheaper?

Reactions: bwhitsonjr

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Boy I did and found out I am going to save around $15 for everything. I like the free shipping and no tax. Amazon kinda fell by the wayside when they started taxing everything and they recently increased the amount you have to spend to get FREE SHIPPING from $35 to $49 pre-tax. It stinks!

All good. Spending around $36. In addition to picking up a filter and cover I also found I'm missing an air cleaner collar. As well as after taking off intake I need a new gasket. Lastly I'm picking up a new carb. A lot of parts for the money if you ask me.

As soon as all that comes in I can put it back together, clean it up, change oil, fresh gas, and cross my fingers while puling the cord! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts