My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, been away for a bit. I will try to make a stop once in a while, miss you guys! :)
Just took this in today. I don't remember ever seeing one like it. I got on it and feel like a giant!! So small!
Engine would not turn over, acts like it is hitting something. PO said it made loud noise and dead! Bet the Techumseh blew up! Have three good engines to swap in depending on the crank on old engine. The headlights and starter work on jumpbox. Never saw a bolted on hood before?? Would like to make it hinge like other machines!

Took top of engine apart quick, thought it might be magnets broken free.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. python, your a winner! I just got off some Sears fan sites. Stripmine had the manual, looks like a 1979 Roper made little guy. We have three engines right up the alley, one from a brand new Poulan rear engine junk. Very good engine, not sure though. Would look really out of place in there, but it is good Briggs. The other two are Briggs flat heads, up to 12.5 HP, other is 10 HP I believe.

·
Registered
507 Posts
That is JUST LIKE the Sears LT-10/36 we have sitting in our shop at school. We swapped on a pull start 8 HP Briggs flathead. It got its butt kicked in a tug of war by a 1991 Husqvarna 11 horse. Anyways, they're really nice tractors. I found the 3-speed transaxle to be geared really low, but its really fun to drive.

Ours looks like this, only without the deck and shifter plate

·
Registered
507 Posts
Also, ours has the 917 prefix and I believe is mid to late 70s.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i bet it threw the rod. are there any unwanted holes in the crankcase?
Not that we noticed. Might pull it today and swap in one.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
vortec, thanks! Wondered why I never saw one like this before!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i bet it threw the rod. are there any unwanted holes in the crankcase?
You win a prize! The vent hole was hiding behind the starter when I was stripping it down found it!!

Blown rod killed it!

We got the new engine in, wow is it tight!

I'll get the plumbing pipe I need from work to get muffler on and working. Shame we had to cut the side some. Need the clearance for muffler and to adjust carb! YIKES its tight! Barely able to get starter wire on! Need to wire safeties up. I did something wrong and the kill is grounded always when plugged into switch? Looking for diagram.
Drove it around with temp muffler on, needs drive belt or adjustment, slips.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Hey Eric, are you going to add this one to the collection or is this one getting a For Sale Sign? It's very unique, I'd like to see one like it pop up on my local CL, I'd grab it!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Not sure Mike! I kinda like it! Just used it some tonight, drives good! Dad modded the frame to fit muffler kinda factory looking. The deck is back on and only thing I need to do is get safeties working.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks RyGuy!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks 43128! You were spot on, that cracked block hid behind the starter! Explained why starter acted weird, poor gear mesh!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts