My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow forum friends. This is a great forum and I'm glad I signed up. I look forward to reading more on the topics covered here as I'm a landscaper. I found you all by trying to find some advice on an issue I have and since my Googling didn't produce much helpful information, I hope some of you lawn lizards can.

My friend (no, seriously it really wasn't me) layed his Husqvarna YTH2042 riding mower on it's side, almost upside down to change the blades. It sat that way for a week till I figured I'd finish the project for him. I took the old blades off, put the new ones on and then uprighted it. At this point I noticed that there was oil coming from the air filter area and there was a big puddle on the garage floor. The oil gauge stick now reads well below minimum. Other than adding oil to the proper level, getting a new air filter and cleaning up what I can see, should I check or fix something behind the scenes that I'm unaware of. I haven't started it yet as I'm not sure if damage would occur by doing so. Do I need to remove the carburetor and clean it out (not sure how many pieces want to poke your eye out upon disassembling)? Disassemble the exhaust? Is there oil somewhere else that it shouldn't be and now posing a potential problem upon restarting? I'm fairly mechanical and have some tools so I should be able to handle most things with some guidance. I hope it's as simple as just cleaning things up, adding oil and changing the filter though I won't be surprised if I need specialty tools and a month of weekends to fix her up. Is it that simple and the rest will clear itslef up after running and smoking a bit? The grass is long and winter is approaching here in New England.

I imagine he's not the first to think this is the way to change the blades and have this result. I'd also imagine that there's been roll overs or other type of accidents leading to similar situations.
Many thanks in advance for any guidance anyone may have.

·
Administrator
6,234 Posts
Welcome to the forum WILD-n-UNRULY. You might want to pull the spark plug, dry it off and crank the engine in case there is oil laying in the cylinder that might hydro lock it. Cranking for several seconds should blow out the excess through the spark plug hole. Also want to clean as much oil as possible off the exhaust or any place else that gets hot where it might catch fire. Then check the oil level and bring it back up to the full mark and see if it will start.

Probably still smoke out the exhaust like a son of a gun for several minutes as the oil finishes burning out of the muffler and drawing down out of the crankcase breather into the carb. Doubtful that any real damage has been done to it.

One other thought, did he leave the battery in it while turned on it's side? :eek:

If so you best check to make sure there is still water in it. The battery would be the biggest concern. One way they can explode is by going dry.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
I'm with Mark there.

Be prepared for a large cloud of blue smoke and as suggested, pull the spark plug out and letting it crank over a bit as it will help clear out some of the oil.

It sounds like you are already to go, but be ready for some huffin' and puffin'! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Layed the riding mower on the side? Haven't heard that one before, perhaps after this is all settled, someone should show your friend (which is not you) how to change the blades without putting mower on the side. I appreciated reading this thread and welcome to the forum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts