My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, thought a good way to introduce our work/ ourselves is to show you! This is our first restore which we kept! It is way too big for our yard, but I really like it! It was given to us by a Facebook childhood friend of mine. His father owned it untill he passed. Here is how we got it! It was rough and didn't run. We went through it and learned as we went! We got it running and tried it out before painting it. We got it done and tried it for the first time mowing, and the transaxle litterally blew up! A bearing seized internally. We found a replacement would cost $600! We found a similar Peerless trans out of something for $50. Dad took our good gears and swapped them into the case of the new one. Works good,second skipps a little. We left it alone. It is a nice machine and we are glad to have it!
MOV03062.mp4 Video by ericjr16 | Photobucket

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Once again Eric, nice work you and dad do. Thanks for sharing the history as well, its nice to know the story behind the equipment. :)

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I thought Dr Bailey would find insperation from this! The same thing happed to this one! I almost parted it out after all that work! Searched for 2 months for proper trans cheap, no go! Then found a local huy selling trans that looked just like it,except part number different. The internal gearing and outside pulley different. Dad thought he could get it to work. God gave him the enginuity to do it! :)

·
1,329 Posts
Looking Good! sounds good also, I wish you could help me get two old round fender JD's restored. They are patiently waiting.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Never did a real old one yet! I would like too, dad of all people don't like the oldies?? :( Weird old man! :)

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Nice work! That looks like it was a fun project.

Those are actually pretty heavy duty little tractors. Right before JD started going in the plastic direction.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe I am the old man then !! :) Here is some more of it stripped down at first! Some pics of the bearing and shaft that killed transaxle on first trial mow! Some of the beginning build I found!

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
How did you like playing around in that nasty grease? What type of grease did you put back in it?

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey guys, Five, we used some of the factory benonite and wheel bearing grease due to that bearing seizing. Made us think that thick grease was worthless in some ways. Dad put in a new bearing instead of the factory bushing it had. Dr Bailey, just old fashion sandpaper and sander, sometimes hand work! The most fun part :( NOT!!
Hurt my back being in same position for so long. One of the reasons we got the lift!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts