My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a nice looking Simplicity Regent for sale, only $30??
Emailed guy, no response. He responded with someone else is coming to look at it! He responded while I was a hour away from home with good friend to tell me I had a hour to get there as other guy backed out! Texted him I could not as truck was a hour away. No reply?
Yesterday as we are about to go to get another machine he texts me if I still want it? Told him this morning would work and was it really $30? He only wants price of the new battery he installed? Get there and this driveway is 5 inches wider than truck and I had to back in off busy road. Glad I am used to delivery! It looks ok, really dirty and hood bashed in. He tried to fire it and it almost caught. Paid what he wanted and loaded it up. Get it home and unload it. Looking it over see a lot of new parts, new drive belt, the deck is much newer than tractor. We tried to start it and it fired fine! Ran well and drove good!! :)
We pressure washed it and installed deck after dad changed blades and checked it fast. In winter we like decks on for easier snow blowing

New blade guy gave us!

Nice job stripping a simple nut!! We will have to replace this stud!

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
came out good eric. do you want to sell that quantum? hate to see it just sitting there. if it pulls over with good compression i will give you 15 bucks plus shipping

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey 43128, at first did not know what you were talking about! Then saw the poor little engine sitting there! It did fire on choke cleaner. Needs carb cleaned. Think dad was swapping it onto other body, but not sure! Will ask and P.M you!

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
The front has an expression like it's angry!

Pretty cool how the deck retains as much paint as it does.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
:ditto: It'd be the perfect candidate for a movie called "Revenge of the Mowers!" :p Anyway, you sure got a real nice deal on it! :2th:

·
Registered
730 Posts
Yup...Regent hydro with Briggs...Always was my favorite --and had the best looking cut ....even better if has mulch kit..IMO...Great deal --would been easy $400 sale here...maybe $500 come spring..[metal hoods are repairable]..
PS...what U doing with a power washer in December..! Don't you ever winterize it..?

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
suspicion, we winterize it. When it is nice just undo it! LOL We take our opportunities as they come! Your right about Regent with Briggs, our second! We had one done with NFL theme, Cowboys. We plan on unbolting hood and banging it out best we can.
Austen, guy says the deck is six years newer than machine, Bob used to sell these tractors and confirmed that.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I believe I know why it does not start cold. Battery is only 195 CCA !! Then choke / throttle cable was dry and broken dash would not allow full choke action!! Fired up for me this morning, cranks slow! Cheap battery strikes again!! :)

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Yep! Do you think it was the original battery or battery rating? It seems like manufacturers sometimes lowball the CCA requirement to spec a cheaper battery. That's how it was with our Tahoe; the battery gave up the ghost after about a year, so I put one with more juice in.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
motor, it is cheap battery from AutoZone I believe. Label says 195cca. Think we are going to mess with it today!

·
Registered
507 Posts
That's a steal for a Simplicity! Looks good all cleaned up too, sounds like it runs pretty well too

Reactions: Ericjr16

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
We worked on it today. Replaced the stripped carb bolt, replace fuel line. Dad found the plug wire was no good! Had to take tank back off the remove engine tin cover AND tin. Changed oil and took hood off. Dad unbolted grill and banged it out best he could, then painted it. Trying to glue the broken dash plastic. Pics tonight! Oh battery is only 165cca, would not crank it this morning!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Bruce, a BFH hammer and patience. Lol. Tested him today, it looks better. Still needs work.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is the pictures promised! Still needs work on hood, but better than before!
Thought I would shoot some pics of the buffing process, dad was not around to video, so thought I would shoot steps. Here is before.

Here is result of rubbing compound on one side, which side you ask?? LOL

The finished Rubbing compound stage of buffing!

Dad removed the grill and did best he could to repair it, look how bad the back side was!

Repaired Carb screw and replaced magneto as original had mouse damage to wire.

The epoxy held well for dash repair.

Not a total detail, just buff and wax on fender. Not too bad! Guy used it to brush hog though. A lot of scratches I may not be able to remove!

Some of the engine.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Nice write up!

The grill looks 10x better- nice work!

I see your new jump starter is getting some use too. :cool

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Austen, that jump box fired it up this morning! You see our battery charger on pan, same brand! Looks same! We living up to our new motto! :)

·
Registered
730 Posts
Geeeez. My favorites...Not just a Briggs, But a Vanguard Briggs...Perfect...Like I said earlier, great manicured cut, and nice tight turning radius...A keeper..! Is that grill piece a separate item to buy from Simplicity.? If not, get out the Bondo..

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did find one on EBay. Dad figured it was good for the people who buy our machines.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts