My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody remember the Arsineo Hall show bit where he did the "Things that make you go, hmmm...."? Well, having way too much free time on my hands this morning, I was doing some house work and thinking about some stuff in general, and there were a few things that made me go, hmmm....

Like, why do my t-shirts turn inside out in the dryer, but don't turn themselves right side to when I put them in inside out? Hmmm....

Like when I was traveling through some of the southern states in the last few weeks, I noticed a lot of bill boards advertising law firms wanting to represent you in injury cases. I don't see a lot of those sorts of things around my neck of the woods, and I wonder, are southerners more prone to accidents and negligence? Hmmm....

Speaking of billboards, that there are so many billboards along our highways at all makes me wonder, didn't First Lady Johnson push to get those things eliminated along our highways back in the 60s? What ever happened to beautify America? Hmmm....

And speaking of driving down the interstate highways. It seems that in every state of this great country, you see the signs for gas stations, fast food chains, hotels, etc., to the point you don't even have to read them, you just recognize them by their colors and shapes. What ever happened to the "real" America, the mom and pop America? The sort of restaurants where there was a real good chance that the food was made by the person who owned the joint and it didn't come wrapped in a sheet of wax paper in a bag with a huge logo or the face of a smiling clown or red headed girl on it, with way more much salt than a body needs in a day and tasted like real food? Hmmm....

How is it that no matter where you are, 10 miles and hour over the posted speed limit seems to be what every one finds acceptable to drive? Hmmm....

This one really sort of bothered me. Why is it that when approaching the southern most tip of the State of Illinois from the Missouri side of the Mississippi River, the road sign tells you how many miles it is to Chicago? Not the nearest town in Illinois, or even that you're getting close to the STATE of Illinois for crying out loud, but how far it is to Chicago! Hmmm....

Anybody else have those things that make you go, Hmmm....?

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
How is it that no matter where you are, 10 miles and hour over the posted speed limit seems to be what every one finds acceptable to drive? Hmmm....
I feel your pain sir.. Traffic enforcement usually occurs @10-15 over..

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Being a truck driver has let me think like this many a day!! Bruce, some good ones for sure!!

Reactions: bwdbrn1

·
Registered
480 Posts
Why do we drive on a parkway but park in a drive way?

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
The million "South of the Border" billboards on 95

Same for Café Risqué on 75

What ever happened to the "See Rock City" barns?

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I feel your pain sir.. Traffic enforcement usually occurs @10-15 over..
No pain really, I always hated writing for anything under 15 myself. Figured at that speed a person knew they were over the limit. Under that could just be wandering. My supervisors saw it differently, even though they hated to use the word "quota".

Being a truck driver has let me think like this many a day!! Bruce, some good ones for sure!!
Ahh yes, the open road let's one wonder and ponder.

Why do we drive on a parkway but park in a drive way?
That does make you go, Hmmm....

The million "South of the Border" billboards on 95

Same for Café Risqué on 75

What ever happened to the "See Rock City" barns?
Funny, I remember those See Rock City barns...4 states away from Rock City. Actually visited Rock City once.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What you have described as things that make you go hmmm are just a few of the things that really have me concerned about humanity.

My faith in humanity, and similarly, faith in the American people is at an all time low. Our society controlled by things that are too big to change is degrading. We as a people are saturated with things that are too large and powerful to control. Any single person or medium sized group can make a difference in a prohibitively local area but trying to return to a nation of "Americans" is a thing of the past.

A nation of people who can be trusted to do the right thing, stand up for one another, and exercise self control, and be tolerant is a thing of the past.

At best, we are a society that can only hope to survive and maintain. We don't have any hope of accomplishing more than that.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
What you have described as things that make you go hmmm are just a few of the things that really have me concerned about humanity.

My faith in humanity, and similarly, faith in the American people is at an all time low. Our society controlled by things that are too big to change is degrading. We as a people are saturated with things that are too large and powerful to control. Any single person or medium sized group can make a difference in a prohibitively local area but trying to return to a nation of "Americans" is a thing of the past.

A nation of people who can be trusted to do the right thing, stand up for one another, and exercise self control, and be tolerant is a thing of the past.

At best, we are a society that can only hope to survive and maintain. We don't have any hope of accomplishing more than that.
Hmmmm.....

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Why do they call them apartments when they are together?

·
Registered
480 Posts
What do you pack styrofoam in to ship it?

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
How does the snowplow driver get to work?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts