My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....is that they issue warnings about offers that are not local and that ask for
an item to be shipped. Well, that cuts the legs out from under those of us who
are legitimate but who just can't afford to travel all over the country. Here is an example. This John Deere 19 circa 1970 has been up on craigslist for a while now. I emailed and offered to buy it if it could be shipped at my expense, but I received no response whatsoever. And this is not the only time this has happened. So, I will post it here in case anyone else can get a response/is local/etc:

John Deere Push Mower

It's fine to tell people to be careful, but craigslist shouldn't make it seem like ALL non-local offers are from con artists and scammers.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
It's always a discouraging feeling when a potential buyer goes out out of their way to do something like this and in return don't receive any reply from the sellers end. Infact, my Dad recently won an auction for a motorcycle on Ebay andit took over three days after the auction ending to hear from the seller. Discouraging.

I would contact them again and ask for their phone number if you haven't already so as this will reassure them that you are truly interested. Being able to talk with them directly will assure them that it's not some type of scam and that you're a real person who is interested, something that happens all to often electronically as we all know.

If you have tried asking in these situations and they still don't get back to you, it could just be that it sold and the seller is lazy and letting the ad expire versus removing it. :/

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, tried several times. Oh well....you are right though, some people do just let things run on. I called about one mower, was told it sold the first day but weeks later the ad was still up. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sad, but true. There ARE a lot of scams on CL, and this one looks suspicious. Posted from the Missouri section selling a mower in Mexico? Even if I talked to the seller I would still be leery. Unlike eBay there is no buyer protection with CL.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts