My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on our vehicles! Dad's truck has the dreaded rust worm! The fender is rotting some even with rustproofing. He is bringing to the rust proofer Monday to touch up this area. He sanded it down and touched up paint. Nice day so we took lift out to make life easier!

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
You get that taken care of and I'll bring my 98 Silverado up for you to work on. :D

Over this last winter I have about a 2" hole opened up in the usual place bottom rear of the cab right opposite of the water drain on the back side. Tailgate at the bottom left side at the hinge is also going through along with the bottom of both doors. Aside from the license plate the rear bumper is see through in the middle too. Good ole road salt and 16 years setting outside year round has taken it's toll. Still only have 103K on it so hanging on to it until hopefully I get better income coming in. Had 10K on it when I bought it in 98. Same color as your dads.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
That would be make me pretty upset!

Good you guys noticed it and are getting it taken care of.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dad is fussy with his stuff like me! Guess he taught me well! ;)
His number 1 job for yesterday!

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Nobody likes to have rust eating their truck! I'm sure your dad will be like General Patton and the Third Army when it comes to eradicating the rusty crud on his truck. ;) :ROFL

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey, how do you like that scissor lift? I almost picked one up, but I get the willies working under a car unless I know it's solid. Do you have confidence in that design?

Reactions: Ericjr16

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, how do you like that scissor lift? I almost picked one up, but I get the willies working under a car unless I know it's solid. Do you have confidence in that design?
My friend this one is super solid! You can rock it and no movement! It all depends on how you lift it also. This is a Professional Bend-pak lift. 6000# capacity! It has no issues with truck!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mark, you have no issues, a little touch up paint will fix that! ;)

·
Registered
507 Posts
If you think that is rust, you should see my Tahoe...front frame horns are getting welded this summer because one of the plow mounts practically fell off in February. Not to mention the very rusty frame, somehow solid rockers, and the rust hole in the rear quarter panel. Only has 95k miles however.

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
If you think that is rust, you should see my Tahoe...front frame horns are getting welded this summer because one of the plow mounts practically fell off in February. Not to mention the very rusty frame, somehow solid rockers, and the rust hole in the rear quarter panel. Only has 95k miles however.
Sounds like the early 2000 ish Ford Excursion my boss has. I went in the garage one day at work and saw a complete receiver hitch including the cross bar that attaches to the rear frame laying on the floor. I asked what happened. "I brought back the trailer with the zero turn mower on it and noticed the hitch seemed to be hanging low. I stepped on the hitch and it fell off!" How he made it up the highway 4 miles from town with it hanging by a few rusty threads towing a 600lb mower on a single axle trailer without it breaking free I'll never know.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like the early 2000 ish Ford Excursion my boss has. I went in the garage one day at work and saw a complete receiver hitch including the cross bar that attaches to the rear frame laying on the floor. I asked what happened. "I brought back the trailer with the zero turn mower on it and noticed the hitch seemed to be hanging low. I stepped on the hitch and it fell off!" How he made it up the highway 4 miles from town with it hanging by a few rusty threads towing a 600lb mower on a single axle trailer without it breaking free I'll never know.
That's scary sounding!!

·
Registered
507 Posts
:ditto: Loose trailer is worse than a plow falling off

·
Registered
507 Posts
Anyone know a source for an OEM transmission dipstick for a 2006 Sierra 1500 with the 5.3 and 4L60E? Or do we have to go to a dealer? I was diagnosing a leak on one of our plow trucks and I barely touched the lock handle and it fell off. I hate rust!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Try EBAY?? I know some better junkyards might have low mile/rust ones!
Dad just replaced the other wheel bearing on the truck. We checked it and it was quite wiped from rust! Knew it was matter of time after the left one failed in April!

I detailed it for him for fathers day and his car!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Chevy half ton plow trucks and wheel bearings...truck in question got them replaced at 38k miles. Been there, done that. Been a plow truck all its life though.

I think we're gonna try a junkyard, probably cheaper as well.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts