My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, had this in a separate thread and never started one for it. We got it with blown engine and terrible shape paint wise. Dad was building it for the local firemen. Dad installed new engine and repainted machine. Full service/ paint on deck. We loaned it out to friend we swapped engines for and the fireman friend when his machine needed work. Well my friend returned it Thursday night to get his in Dead condition. Said it would not start after using it. He installed new plug and nothing? Dad looked it over yesterday and found spark and fuel. He also found a mouse nest on magneto area. Think it was overheated and blew headgasket/head :( .
The engine was starting to smoke and never ran as well as we liked anyway. We will set up firemen with the Gray Craftsman instead.
My buddy Bob gave dad a engine for it and it is a SWEET one! Twin Briggs! Should make it a nice machine for sure! UPGRADE!
How we got it.

The old engine.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Nice revival!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
We had a lot of work to get it going today. The Throttle cable needed replacing and a choke cable was required. The muffler and piping was a chore as we did not know which ones were needed. Turned out I had three different sets of piping, we installed wrong ones first and caused all sorts of issues! Finally got that sorted and tried to fire it, only on choke cleaner. Dad took carb off and had heck of a time removing bowl screws. Got it cleaned and it fires and runs good, governor is acting sticky and revs too high. Might need adjusting or just running for a bit?

Real nice how it was on loan and it came back like this?? Dad just painted the tractor? :(

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is moving but seems to stick right at idle area, PB should help! I'll give it a whirl!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Is that air filter cover installed correctly? Doesn't look like it. The way these engines are designed that cover needs to be installed properly and tightly, and even then some dirt still gets in. Not the best design by Briggs.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Vortec, it isn't installed at all. Just laid on engine before being pushed out for night. We know about the Briggs air filter setup issues.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We are taking a break due to the weather and hitting gym extra hard for myself! Dad is sore from pushing on Friday getting this engine onto tractor and removing other one by himself! :( ( I always tell him why can't he wait for me to help! Always feel bad for not being here! )
We did go out and spray PB onto linkage and governor shaft. Also mounted tins and installed air cleaner. It fired nicely and something is off with throttle linkage, sometimes it was ok rev wise, other time it did not throttle up at all and cable is working as is linkage?? Will print schematic of linkage and look at governor adjustment if necessary. We let it run for 5-10 minutes and I drove it around so far so good otherwise!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wanted to try it out, been raining too much! :(

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We adjusted the governor and think it was sticking also. After mowing yesterday it seems to be running very well. Bought a air cleaner for it today and need to buff and detail it for sale. Will take pics/video tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
She is thank God running and cleaned up nice! God willing a seller now.

Reactions: Austen

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
A seller for sure!! Very nice work!

It'll go quick.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
looks good. does that briggs have pressure lube? only reason i ask is it has a cap where the filter would go

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yes, it's full pressure lube but the filter has a blockoff plate. If the plate is removed, I believe a filter can be installed. My lawn cutting LT1000 has the exact same engine as this (21 HP v-twin Briggs) with that same cap.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We sold it to a fellow with second home upstate. He is coming back tomorrow with the trade in from there. A John Deere L120 I believe. We had a couple of them, hopefully not in terrible shape?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts