My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the frame that will soon be on its way here to convert the 1970 self-propelled 20555 to a 1970 hand-propelled 19333:

And here is a 1970 model 18216 key-lectric that popped up on ebay that I just snatched. It will be a great companion to the 1970 model 18215 that I just finished. Didn't know that I would end up with a trio of 1970 models so soon. :D

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
This will be fun to watch!

Thanks for posting the progress. :cool

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
We'll be awaiting the new found treasures that you will soon bestow upon us! In picture form that is! :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Back from Oregon

Got back on Friday, about 5pm. Spent a couple of days there, so it was a little over 5000 miles of driving, round trip, in about a week. Our 2004 Crown Vic performed flawlessly, even well-loaded down on the return trip. Used no oil whatsoever and it didn't even turn dark. I give a lot of credit to keeping it filled with premium gas. And the Michelin Symmetry tires did not lose so much as one pound of air, either.

Unpacked the car, spent some time putting stuff away, then got to work on the mowers. Cleaned and repaired the 20555. Decided to keep that as is, rather than convert to push. It's a low serial number for 1970....000611 and deserves to be left original. It has the earlier black step pad, rather than the STEP cast into the deck like later 1970 models. It was a running change made by Toro. Here are some photos:

I restored the deck that you see earlier in this thread. Here is a photo:

I am having yet another find shipped in shortly, and that one I will convert, using the restored deck:

Here are a few more photos of the mowers and my shop....the house and garage were built in 1940 and the garage is a bit small for a Crown Vic, so it's now my Toro restoration facility :D

So, when the other 19 and 21 get here, there will be 5....for the moment.

I would like to pass along a little trick that I used with the 20555. The shroud had been cracked and a bit broken in a few places. I cut out a small piece to enlarge the hole at the starter handle so that the shroud can be removed without removing the handle. I kept the cut piece. Then I got out my old soldering iron and melted the plastic where it was cracked and broken. Melted it back together, filled in where necessary with the saved piece, smoothed it over and it worked like a charm! Beats the heck out of glue or silicone sealant. :D

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
The art of welding plastic, Nice! You'll soon have a reason to expand, maybe a pre built building for a shop. You're doing a nice job with those TOROs. I'm glad to hear your trip was uneventful. Thats more driving than I would like to do.

·
Premium Member
6,106 Posts
Your shop is much cleaner than mine! Fine looking Toro's you have there. Did I read that right? That first one is a 1970? Looks brand new!

Thanks for sharing the pictures. Visuals are alway welcome.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Wow, amazing!! It really is in nice shape and now that you restored the deck, it looks like new! :) What a well taken care of machine.

Thanks for sharing the photos of your collection with us! You've got a nice line up. It's neat that you have an interest in these types of mowers!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your shop is much cleaner than mine! Fine looking Toro's you have there. Did I read that right? That first one is a 1970? Looks brand new!

Thanks for sharing the pictures. Visuals are alway welcome.
Two out of the three that I have right now are 1970 model year....and the 19" that is on its way is also a 1970. The other 21" is either a 1970 or possibly 1971....I will know soon. :D

Just an additional note....the 20555 had not been started since April of 2011. Then went through the high heat of Alabama and the dampness and mold of northwest Oregon. And still started on the very first pull today. Especially proud of that one. I've had it for 18 years now and only paid 50 bucks for it back in 1994. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts