My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Premium Member
9,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well if you all remember in early Feb-April we took on a Restore on a John Deere 170 for that nice fellow. He offered us a GMC and we were not going to take it but offered it to our friend. My friend wanted it but got busy with a girlfriend. Got sick of him forgetting everything he told us he was doing and dropped it. I am a man of my word and in my head had to get this truck off the guys hands as I told him we would take it. Well finally was able to get my neighbor and our schedule to line up. Got it home yesterday. Went to charging battery and start cleaning the mouse hotel interior!! :tango_face_surprise
Forgot the camera to document the horror of mouse crap EVERYWHERE :tango_face_sad: . Well dad vacuumed it and I used interior cleaner on dash and plastics. It doesn't smell too bad now. After a while tried to start it and it fired up! :tango_face_grin: Acted like a bad vacuum leak though, wouldn't idle and stalled? I got tire step out and went to town with choke cleaner tracing leak, found chewed off pcv line. Replaced it and cleaned throttle body and it idled nice and ran much better! I was Chevy Tech when these first came out so feel like home under hood!
Let it run for a while and tried trans a little , brakes seem to hold and trans shifts in gear ok, fluid burnt smelling and coolant had rust glob. Heater seem to blow warm and fan sounds like mouse condo in it. A/C inop most likely out of Freon. Most likely a flip as I have no need nor desire for it as does dad. My sister might want it or her husband, not given it away though. Nor wanting to marry it if my sister gets it, frame is scalely
Today is pressure wash and maybe a slight drive around road.

A taste of the interior before cleaning! :(

This damage might be easy to straighten but paint was poorly redone! Looks all cracked and faded.

This was real bad! Looks better now!

Missing door panel, junkyard is our best bet if going to at least fix this and missing glass on right mirror.

· Premium Member
9,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot these are sensitive to water when pressure washed. Wipers came on and no start. Took computer out and drying it good. Think no injector pulse. No big deal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: wh55

· Premium Member
7,335 Posts
That's some tractor! :)

Looks like a project, but nothing you guys can't handle.

I'll bet it'll bet a nice change of pace for a while. You'll have to film a burnout! :tango_face_surprise

· Premium Member
9,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol interesting tractor right Austen?! It is nice change! I got it running and drove it around. Got it to 40 and no bad shaking or anything. Brakes work and trans shifts. 4x4 is inoperable but transfer case clunks now, might be rust seized linkage for auto engagement system. Vacuum sensor might be stuck. Engine miss at low speed most likely bad plugs / wires.

· Premium Member
7,335 Posts
You don't want to keep it as an extra tractor puller, maybe even a Fusion replacement? :tango_face_wink:

How many miles?

· Premium Member
9,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You don't want to keep it as an extra tractor puller, maybe even a Fusion replacement? :tango_face_wink:

How many miles?
198,000!!

· Premium Member
7,335 Posts
I'll watch your video later when I get home from work.

· Premium Member
9,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well had to take a ton of dead end wires out of it. Must have shook the viper remote stater as it went haywire! Started and stopped with hood open. Safely popper on hood inop! A mechanics worst nightmare! I hate these things! I wound up taking lower dash and gauge cover off to trace and cut wires to kill it and keep the truck operational. Wasn't easy but most of wires out and it is a dead viper! Took 20-50' of wires out of it I bet!

· Registered
209 Posts
Add-ons in the wiring system are the absolute worst! I did a salvage title Explorer (needed a front clip and a frame sectioning) once that would not start, but would if the wiring for an alarm system was bypassed. The guy that had me rebuilding it did not have the code to turn off the alarm system after activation which was causing the no-start condition. Took me the better part of 2 hours not to find it in the dash (where Ford recommends dealers install OEM Ford alarm systems, which this one turned out to be) and doing a few continuity checks (to verify the wires they were using had not veered off and removing various interior panels) to trace it to where it was hiding in the left quarter panel! At that point it took all of 10 minutes to remove it after it was found, throw it directly in to the trash and then repair the wiring. To tell you the truth if it was mine I would have just bypassed it and left it where ever it was but if someone wants to pay for it's removal . . .

· Premium Member
9,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well it is raining this morning. Might still go to the junkyard today to scope out a parts truck. We might fix the missing mirror and missing door panel to help sale. Hoping my sister don't see it and want it or brother in law. I don't want to give it away I'd rather make some money to help my cause of living for a while until my issues are resolved. It helps keep my mind out of trouble. My mom is having surgery in the Bronx of all places next Tuesday. I don't see me able to go with the back issues with sitting in waiting room chairs. That bothers me not going but what can I do. Can't drive or ride that long I think. Stupid local DR's suck, they build a huge new state of the art hospital and still make you go over 100 miles for what they call "minor" surgery! :(

Here is video of the truck last night.

Reactions: Mark / Ohio

· Administrator
6,319 Posts
That a 5.0 or 5.7L? My Silverado is a 98 model built in 97 with 5.0L. Engine and interior look the same but less bells and whistles. I have the manual 4x4 floor shift lever. Seems like I read a number of posts about the electronic shifters having bad connection in the switch or someplace giving problems getting them into 4x4. If I remember right it is an electric actuator rather then vacuum driven shifter.

FYI if the wipers only work intermittent there are cold solder connection that develop in the motor assembly. I had that one with mine and was fairly easy fix. If the steering fluctuated in stiffness to turn the wheel there is a little ring on the steering column that causes that. That one was more interesting to fix. Think I actually had to separate the steering column on that one. Easier fix would be just to unplug it. :tango_face_wink:

· Premium Member
9,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Mark its a 350 like Go blow says think it wasn't offered due to weight of the thing! Wipers was just a water issue from pressure washing, only reason for the wiper malfunction! They work fine after drying out.
Went to junkyard and scored a lot of stuff! Need some more now that we dug in further. The front marker lights we got the wrong pair and need to get the others. The lf headlight is broken on mount allowing it to move so will get one. The passenger mirror I scored as well as grill emblem. Found a Husky truck liner in the one in junkyard so took it as well. The wiring was hacked big time took cover off to install the mirror and wires just twisted together. The power mirror circuit is inop, we most likely will leave it like so. I chased the circuit some and came up with no power, not sure where this fuse panel is. The neighbor who is sheriffs deputy is interested in it as a winter hoopty. Our friend stopped last night who is A tech in Chevy. Going to get his tech-II to help me see what issue is with transfer case.
I buffed out the taillights and headlight lens and made big difference. We might grab the taillights out of junkyard if possible.

· Registered
191 Posts
Well, it's coming along.. Good thing you got it for the right price, Eric... Something about lipstick and a pig comes to mind...

I would think you could get maybe $1000 for it when it's done? The rust doesn't look to bad.

· Premium Member
9,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, it's coming along.. Good thing you got it for the right price, Eric... Something about lipstick and a pig comes to mind...

I would think you could get maybe $1000 for it when it's done? The rust doesn't look to bad.
lol or myth busters polishing a certain item?! Lol

· Premium Member
9,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I listed it on CL yesterday morning as a barn find as we stopped working on it. Would be costly to restore to our standards. Reason I stay away from auto flipping! Well had a serious hit a hour later and within two hours he came and bought it! I listed it for $1000 and sold for less but very nice for dad profit! We had a lot of time into it of course, me working on repairing wiring and detailing. Guy came back in a few hours with plates and drove it home so one saga is done!

· Premium Member
7,335 Posts
Good for you guys! A little chunk of cash is never a bad thing. :ThumbUp:

· Premium Member
9,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Think fellow thought us busting our $&@$ on his two machines would be free? Hard to gauge through text but not acting happy over dads price for parts/ delivery. Oh well no guarantees implied on your tractors!

· Administrator
6,319 Posts
I've worked with guys that would buy a truck with that age and mileage and put on another 100K as a daily driver / work vehicle. One fellow I knew took two days off work and done an engine swap in his rural backyard down 30 miles into the hills on his Elcamino. He'd been running a junkyard 350 ci engine in another vehicle that he wrecked before he pulled it a second time and put it in the Elcamino. Third day he drove it to work. Said running good but taking it slow through town. "I don't have the exhaust back on yet, only the headers. Wouldn't you know soon as I hit the city limits a cop passed me! So I just let it idle till he was out of site." :tango_face_smile_bi

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.