My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been toying with the idea of upgrading my tranny in the X300. Again, I said toy!

Anyway I stumbled upon an interesting read and thought I might share. This was first written 6 years ago and edited 3. How do you think it applies today?

Lawn Tractor Transmission Types

·
Premium Member
9,017 Posts
Good info in that article! I see people have swapped a K66 into your rig Bryan!

Reactions: bwhitsonjr

·
Premium Member
7,359 Posts
Well, General Transmissions is a sponsor here and might like to talk with you. :)

If you're going to be doing a lot of heavy pulling, you might just want to invest in an older heavy duty GT as another machine to have in the stable.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good info in that article! I see people have swapped a K66 into your rig Bryan!
Yes in fact that's the direction I was heading. There is a guy that sells the complete conversion kit. Includes the brand new K66 tranny. Also you can go back with stock 8" wheels or upgrade to the 12" wheels. Tires aren't included. Cause as you could imagine the driveshaft will be 1" now instead of the standard that's currently on the K46.

Well, General Transmissions is a sponsor here and might like to talk with you. :)

If you're going to be doing a lot of heavy pulling, you might just want to invest in an older heavy duty GT as another machine to have in the stable.
I'll go with that Austen. Never anything wrong with growing the fleet! :)

·
Premium Member
9,017 Posts
Bryan remember tractors are like potato chips, can't have only one!!! Bwhaha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mark I've been wondering if my X series is just the newer version of your JD. I can't remember what model you have, wait I found it. LT150 with a Kohler Command. Poking around the google I also found this...

LT150... good used machine??? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

Remember? At that time you had some hours on her. What are you up to now?

I can hear the K46 doing it's normal whining... But the big thing that worried me was the guy had a 2" ball on the receiver. I'm thinking what did he move with it? He was inclined to tell me this thing has some power and he's moved his boat with it before. I was thinking I would never do that. But as long as it wasn't far and he didn't overheat the tranny it probably didn't hurt it.

I'm also to your thinking. I can get the best life out of this one and when it fails I'll decide to replace with K46 again or make the upgrade.

·
Administrator
6,272 Posts
My clock read 365 hrs last photo I took of it in case the clock battery went dead in September last year and I put the clock on it at the end of the first season so adding 30-35 hrs would put me at 400 hours. Transmission still pulls and sounds really no different then when it was new to my ears. After I got it and started reading forums I would never have thought it would be still going 14 years and 400 hrs later. Mine must have been made on a Wednesday. :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
142 Posts
The Element V in the article sounds promising if it proves to be correct, I wonder if it will be of similar footprint for mounting and input pulley location if indeed manufacturers begin to move in that direction, would make it a bolt on swap.

That said I think the K46 in my XT2 should hold up well as it only takes me 1/2 hr to cut the grass (used to take 45 min. with a 30" RER) and in the fall when the temps are in the 50's the trans is only warm to the touch.

The biggest things I think with the issues some have with the K46 (and other light duty hydros) is I've seen reviews of people using them on "2 hilly acres" and hauling firewood up inclines, etc. 2 acres with any 42 or 50" light duty mower is way too much, the hours will add up quick so you only have a 3 year old mower with blown trans but hundreds of hours. For that much land IMO a 50-60" semi commercial ZTR or a true GT are the only ways to ensure that you'll get good life out of the machine.

lastly I'm not crazy about the Sintered iron diff gears in these small hydros, some times the bevel gears strip out and then it looks like the hydro failed. The diff gears are not expensive to replace but now you have to break open the case to swap them out.

Reactions: bwhitsonjr

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Element V in the article sounds promising if it proves to be correct, I wonder if it will be of similar footprint for mounting and input pulley location if indeed manufacturers begin to move in that direction, would make it a bolt on swap.

That said I think the K46 in my XT2 should hold up well as it only takes me 1/2 hr to cut the grass (used to take 45 min. with a 30" RER) and in the fall when the temps are in the 50's the trans is only warm to the touch.

The biggest things I think with the issues some have with the K46 (and other light duty hydros) is I've seen reviews of people using them on "2 hilly acres" and hauling firewood up inclines, etc. 2 acres with any 42 or 50" light duty mower is way too much, the hours will add up quick so you only have a 3 year old mower with blown trans but hundreds of hours. For that much land IMO a 50-60" semi commercial ZTR or a true GT are the only ways to ensure that you'll get good life out of the machine.

lastly I'm not crazy about the Sintered iron diff gears in these small hydros, some times the bevel gears strip out and then it looks like the hydro failed. The diff gears are not expensive to replace but now you have to break open the case to swap them out.
I'm not thinking about putting a GT tranny in my X300. I am thinking about doing a K66 upgrade if I do replace the K46. I think the XT2 will last you for many years to come. Especially with that short of a trip each time you mow.

Bryan, if you do end up doing a swap, we expect meticulous photo documentation. :tango_face_kiss: :tango_face_grin:
Don't worry Nico... I will give you a ton of photos for sure!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.