My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I been preaching the value of "Fresh Cab" mouse repellent. Well guess it don't work. Dad mentioned getting the snow blower out of shed to install clog buster tool on it. Went to fire up my John Deere 180 and it seem to crank slower than normal. Fired up and pulled it out. Noticed a strange smell and some leaf/debris flying. :dunno:
Turned it off and called to dad. He saw some stuff by oil filter, went to move it and it was flesh?!? :tmi::tmi::help:
Went into mouse eviction mode, left it AWAY from garage and pulled tins. YUCK!! I tore it to shreds with steel gears and tight Kawasaki tolerances. Stupid thing chewed spark plug wire but not terribly. In a way wish no creature the death it got! Used hose and gloves to clean it and let it dry. Mowed with it after words. Smells bad :(

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
That's kind of an expensive mouse trap you have there. ;)

Least you quickly caught on something was wrong and did not head on out and have it catch fire. :^:

I have one of those electronic noise repellers for barns I bought from the farm store a number of years ago in the attached garage. Depending on adjustable settings supposed to work on everything from insects to rats and larger animals. Seems to work most of the time although I'll still have to set an old fashioned mouse trap once or twice a year to get one with an apparent hearing problem. :D I pull the plug on it if I'm going to be working in there or on the adjoining porch as it starts to get on my nerves. I have it set for mice and larger animals and it is fairly loud on that setting. We have about a half dozen cats roaming around the area from the neighbors which also helps. Been a long time since I saw a mouse out in the shed or around my firewood. I did have a chipmunk under the shed but have not saw him for a spell now. I suspect either one of the cats got him or he gave up and moved to a safer neighborhood.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Oh man that poor mouse! NAH! Actually I'm a live and let live type until they start getting into places they don't belong.
The best thing I've found for keeping mice out is moth balls. Just put a few in some old panty hose and put that around the areas you want protected.

Reactions: Ericjr16

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
When it came time to store the camper, we were told to put dryer sheets in it in several places. It seemed to work, and it kept it smelling good too. Don't know how you'd go about using them on small engines, but inside sheds and such might work.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the different tips. We used them before and really thought this stuff worked! Remember a few months ago they got into dads Craftsman snow blower tractor, the opposed Briggs did not make massacre like mine did though! What a waste of time ,took quite q while to clean and reassemble. Only took tins off once and that was 4 years ago! LOL Complained to Fresh cab owners as it is guaranteed. Lets see what happens!

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Darn critters!

As Mark said, thankfully you caught it in time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts