My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, she's home, alive and well!

If you by chance came across my other thread, this is follow up to it, http://www.mylawnmowerforum.com/for...1-going-attempt-purchase-truck-tractor-3.html. I had previously mentioned that when I pulled it with my truck, the rear tires of the tractor drug and I could not get them to break loose. Due to the daylight, I had to call it quits that night but mentioned the next day I would attempt to start and drive it.

Today I pulled the Optima out of my truck and stuck it on the machine. Checked the oil to see what it looked like and the 5 year + oil looked as good as 5 year + oil can look like. Splashed a little gas in the tank, and then came one of my most adrenaline racking moments... attempting to start an old machine that hasn't been ran in a long time. I've learned over the years this situation can be one of the most rewarding and experiences, or, very disappointing. I turned the key and.... nothing. Turned it a couple of more times and...nothing. I thought you have GOT to at least give me SOMETHING!!!!
I finally heard the unmistakable sound of a vintage loud starter solenoid engage. CLUNK. A few more times of the key and she began turning over rapidly, but did not show any signs at all of starting no matter the choke and or throttle position. A couple shots of starting fluid and it immediately fired right off for a couple of moments! Aha, we have life!! Yes!! This was looking good and it tells me the carburetor is going to need to be rebuilt. I had thought maybe the fuel valve was turned off, but it was on. Speaking of which, its location is like in one of the most inconvenient places possible. Its mounted directly below the fuel tank but the thing is, there is a steel plate (cover plate maybe??) that covers it so how on earth are you ever supposed to get your hand to turn it? I could barely get a finger in to budge it.

I decided that I would try putting it into gear for the brief few moments that it would run on the starting fluid to see if it would break itself loose. This worked like a charm! Whatever it was that was seized freed itself up and then moved freely in neutral :)
To tow it home, I used my JD. It was a lot of weight for it but was quite entertaining. My sister and I had a lot of fun making that memory together.

Here is a short video of pulling it home.
Don't forget to click 1080p.

This next weekend when I have time, I will go into more details and the plans that I have for it. I apologize for making a big deal about it, this kind of thing doesn't happen everyday for me so it's fun to make the most of it and don't feel like you always have to reply to all my posts, threads and ramblings about it anyway, especially when I start the main thread for it. I mostly enjoy writing these up for my own sake and documenting everything for my own for personal reference. I even have most of my update threads saved on my computer. The photos are of how it sits. It's going to clean up nice. All the decals are still intact and what you see on the hood is is dirt. I gave it the best spot in the garage next to the Duc!

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Bravo!, very nice Austen. This should be a lot of fun, and your sister looked like she was having fun too! Is she going to help you work on it too...... maybe? ;)
It looks like a very beefy machine, you should have her going strong here soon. :2th:

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
I can see why you're so excited Austen. The old gal is beautiful, and as always, I know your thread will be great to follow.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Bravo!, very nice Austen. This should be a lot of fun, and your sister looked like she was having fun too! Is she going to help you work on it too...... maybe? ;)
It looks like a very beefy machine, you should have her going strong here soon. :2th:
I'm really looking forward to it! It's almost like having an old car in a way, I have some other plans that besides the usual that I will be going into later so it'll be a fun, continuous, project. :ThumbUp:

Not sure about sis working on it, but I know Duke will be right by my side. :cool:

I can see why you're so excited Austen. The old gal is beautiful, and as always, I know your thread will be great to follow.
Thanks, I think that she's going to clean up nice.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
:ditto: They're tough. Looks great! It'll be cool to see how it turns out! :ThumbUp: Wish they still made them like that.

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
I don't know Austen, your sister may not be interested to work on it but by the looks of it when it comes time for riding on it and testing it you might have some competition. :ThumbUp:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts