My Lawnmower Forum banner

The $50 Husqvarna LTH140 lives!

7K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Ericjr16 
#1 ·
I found this weird looking Husqvarna on CL Thursday night. Emailed and called older gentleman about it. Sounded like it was good donor machine. He said it seized up and blew? Get there to him cleaning leaves off it and looked ok. Thankfully we used his hill to load it as wheels were stuck, hydro release inop. Dad took the wheel key off right tire so it could kinda roll. Then fellow showed us what else he was selling/giving away! A ton of gas cans dad passed on, a Echo trimmer I did grab and a Troy-Bilt Chipper/vac that was HUGE! ( See other thread! ) Was quite the task loading it safely for the 30+ miles ride home! I took all back roads home to save from high speed/easier on truck!

I got to work on tractor solo yesterday as dad was away. Due to the back I had to choose my tasks, one of which was to leave it where it lay! I could not push it with hitch off, hydro is now working ( Dry fro lack of use WD to the rescue! ) I charged the battery while I took gas tank off. New fuel line and filter/shut off valve as oil was full of fuel! Now I could kill fuel flow! Changed oil/filter. Battery has this year date code but very dead, so used jump box and fired right up! Smoked heavily for a few minutes burning all the oil out of muffler. Stayed running but choking on fuel as I bet needle is stuck open! Here is video

Today is pressure washer day! Washing everything with it as for drought, conserving water with it. 2.5GPM instead of my pumps 10+ ;)

See less See more
1 10
#2 · (Edited)
Installed the bagger and used it today to bag and try it out further. The machine is not smoking visibly smells of oil so possible worn out engine. I took off the stupid fog lights and today noticed frame is cracked in box of front axle. Second main issue is the hydro is either having belt/pulley issue or it is worn out!! Will not climb hill and is noisy at points. Well buying these machines way we do is like gambling, never know what you have! Right now for the cost of entire machine, I have bagger system, seat and engine for $50! Can't complain if it is unrepairable!
One issue we will use welder on is these cracks I saw in setting sunlight.

Complete with bagger installed, I had the elbow guy lost!

Looks better with no fog lights and big hook on hitch plate is gone as well!

Noise on video of it grinding and such on fire up, wrong starter was installed!!
Gear hit ring gear!

Hood is weird to get off but very handy!!

Fog lights about to go bye bye!

#3 · (Edited)
This one sounds like it's been around the block a few times! Well, maybe literally too.

(Disclaimer: Please see take the following as a joke. It will be a nice machine when you're through with it and I'm sure you will make a nice profit from it regardless of who buys it.. It just won't be from the type that shows up in an Esclade. ;))

You gotta agree, it's the machine the hillbilly would be driving to the local tavern on. It's just got that certain "look" to it. It's most definitely not the one you'd see the all 'American dad' using to mow his yard behind the white picket fence with the Golden Retriever running - nor will it attract that clientele either when it comes time to flip it. It's just not that machine. It's the machine you'd see the drunkard hillbilly riding, who's been caught by the local Sheriff doing this three times before, driving to the local tavern on.
It also explains those fog lights that you sadly removed, although probably not a deal breaker for most I'm sure when you sell it but there's still no denying they somehow fit the character of it well. I digress, back to my point, the lights were used when he drove back home at night after he got kicked out of the Tavern seemingly yet again. The fog lights were used for just that purpose, so that he could see the fog line just enough to use as a guide while squinting through his bloodshot eyes. He knows that when the fog line breaks up and he can no longer see it that his shack is 30 feet up the road and to the right after the next bump on the shoulder. This system worked like a charm to avoid the ditch every time... well, OK, except that one time which explains the cracked frame or was that when he mixed up FWD with REV and backed into the Tavern's outside brick wall?

Yup, that's the story behind this one! I think that explains a few things like why the drivetrain seems to have so much wear on it too. This one deserves a name, this machine does. All it's missing is a cup holder but I'm guessing he kept that.

:ThumbUp: :ThumbUp:

#4 · (Edited)
I'm not so sure that's a crack in the frame at all, probably just a tear in the paint, I see that a lot on older machines... I certainly wouldn't pull a welder out unless I saw definite evidence the steel was indeed badly torn and I mean it should go all the way through... Surface cracks are another thing you will see a lot of in machines much over 5-8 years of age, unless it goes all the way through it's usually little to worry about.

I would clean that thing up as good as possible, the whole thing... The hydraulic issue is likely a belt, buy a new one, clean the pulleys real good (especially the groove where the belt rides). Don't even think the transmission is truly hydraulic, probably more like a gear drive contraption made by Tecumseh, they're pretty tough but can be hard to find if they're really broken.

The engine was made for many years, not sure why it was discontinued but it came in flavors ranging from 12.5 to 15 hp, that particular one on that mower looks to be a Kohler CV14s (the s stands for electric start), not sure on the specific model but an oil and filter change (make sure to run an automotive grade oil, I believe the manufacturer recommends SAE 10w-30).

Might need blades sharpened.

#5 ·
Thank you sidemouse! We are just getting started on this one! :)

#6 ·
Looks like the deck is also in shambles due to poor repairs, weldable but getting to point of scrapping it. Hydro is weak and deck is needing new spindle shaft and possible housing on other side. spindle mount is badly damaged on one side and is cracked.

#7 ·
Well the Husqvarna is now a parts pig. Seat went to my GT6000 snow blower. The bagger just went onto a nice DYT4000we bought yesterday and engine will find a home somewhere. Never look at these buys as mistakes! The price of a new seat or starter is more than I paid for entire machine!

#8 ·
How do you guys load up the those non runners in the back of your truck each time? I know you have long ramps but pushing a dead rider up any sort of incline, especially ramps with spaced tines, is no fun at all.

#9 ·
Now you know why my back hurts Austen! Thank God we get help most of the time. We just literally picked up a almost new Craftsman with four guys loading it ! About flew into truck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Austen
#10 ·
More power to you! :eek:

When I worked my first job at the JD dealer, I never grew accustomed to loading & unloading them out of the bed of a truck (even under power) but you guys obviously have it down to a science and are used to it. I'm sure if it was in fact an issue or that big of an inconvenience, you would own a trailer to haul them in.

#11 ·
Our habit is I work steering and dad pushed on right as he is a Lefty. Most times deck hangs up on ramp, bolt of blade mostly. We pick up whole machine a bit and over it goes. I tried a come-along with little result too slow. I also thought of 12v winch set up in back but dad seemed no interested. I'd love trailer set up, dad is a no. I have the hitch on my car...... maybe fast track tractor pick up service! LOL ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.