My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, we had a big issue with the plow this week. Was down for the big snow storm and we had to rely on the little guys! My SS10 Suburban really saved the day, plowed all of the yard/paths and driveways. She even did neighbors! The old engine is burning some oil, no visible smoke. Old age! :)
Well the plow had a issue with not lowering. We went to dealer and bought new solenoid piston, no fix! Dad was having a cow, I noticed error codes on controller. We think a wire came off when dad put cover back on. We checked this morning after leaving plow in garage. Everything looked right with manual. This time thank God it works fine! Plowed my sister's driveway and all seemed good. Big relief for dad!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
43128, your right there! The engine has nothing to be ashamed of due to the age of it! Who knows how many hours it has! I am just happy to have it! Sure did a great job with the heavy wet snow we had.

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
Seems like you guys have had a lot of headaches with that plow for only using it in a non commercial / homeowner application. You'd think they would be built a little tougher considering the mechanical stresses they undergo.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You know Mark, we thinking same thing. Mind you we aren't plow experts and might be doing something wrong at times. First it was the water in oil freezing, then this persistent leak. While trying to fix that, we somehow got this issue? The plow works well, but is not up to the quality of a Meyers/ Fisher in my opinion. Maybe newer ones are , this is after all 4 years old and a first generation of their plows. Main thing is we decided to let it leak! Such a small amount right now ,should let it be! :)

·
Registered
507 Posts
The new Snowdoggs are very nice plows. Buyers has changed and improved the design of many little parts and they are really built very well. They're now Fisher quality for a lot less money. But then again, Douglas Dynamics has really sent the Fisher, Western, and Blizzard brands down the tubes. Electrical issues, bad welds, hydraulic failures. Makes me glad all 4 of our plows are at least 6 years old.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad to hear vortec! Like I was saying some of the issues could me our own made ones. Lack of experience with hydraulics was one issue. I haven't been around new plows in over 20 years when I worked in new car dealership. Then we sold a lot of new Chevys with Meyers. I did see a new Snowdogg on a Chevy few weeks ago, a lot of new changes like the storage jack is much improved!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
RyGuy, you mean truck or my Sears Suburban SS10? The SS10 is the one starting to use oil. The Chevy is dad's baby with only 60,000 on it for a 2004

1 - 10 of 10 Posts