My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I inherited this machine from my FIL a few years ago.

It was a bugger to start and the molded-plastic body is always cracking.

Aside from that, the thing reduces 10 bags of leaves to 1...great for working around places that you don't want to brave with a tractor or mower!

I did a minor overhaul of the engine recently and fired-it-up today.

Here's to Spring!!! Enjoy! :ThumbUp:

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
that thing runs like a champ. have you tried q bond for the body?

this is my favorite tool for moving leafs blower 007.jpg

great for use in my backyard, only paid 38 bucks for it running!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks 43! I'll have to try that!

I was waiting for him to crack that chute part in a spot that he didn't just repair.

I've been using JB-Weld & in an area where I needed something more viscous, I used the 2-part stick-weld.

That's a pretty sweet blower you have there!

This machine can do something similar where you can flip the handles (so you're pushing from the head-side) and there's a blower that attaches to the bagger-mount. Nice for making piles.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
its a great machine, i just push the leaves into the are where the trees are in the backyard, and just blow them to the curb in the front yard. it has tons of power and i would never go back to using the mower with the bagger

·
Registered
7 Posts
HA, I just posted this to small engine repair, It looks like you had the exact same project I am now attempting, (thanks for the great vid BTW)...How come mine says 5HP when otherwise it looks exactly the same as yours?--------

Does anyone have experience with the Tecumseh vertical shaft mower engines? I'm speaking specifically about the LAV. LEV, TVS, and OVRM aluminum small blocks to about 200cc.

I have a TVS115 and it's a special type, there is no other replacement option because this has a special half-moon sump closure plate. The reason for this is it bolts to a chipper/vac and the chipper chute sits astride the right of the engine. It's in close, so the OHV version is out of the question and so is any other potential replacement with a carb on the right. The carb and the exhaust both need to be on the left.

My question is, what other Tecumseh's take this sump pan bolt pattern? Would a 12cubic inch version bolt up?
The engine I have is a Sears Eager 1, It a 5 HP, 11.5 CI, L-head, from the 1994-95 era, and it's blown. Does anyone have a running short block available?

-----------------------

PS : You don't still have that old motor do you Capstan? Let me know if you do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm also ISO the blower chute, mine did not come with one :(

I'm going to try and lap the valves like classiccat did, but if there is still low compression I might hack off the chipper chute and mount up a more powerful engine for vac service only.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm also ISO the blower chute, mine did not come with one :(

I'm going to try and lap the valves like classiccat did, but if there is still low compression I might hack off the chipper chute and mount up a more powerful engine for vac service only.
Sorry there HnG! I was going to say that the chipper-chute is almost a novelty...it's handy if you have a handful of twigs...that's about it.

you may want to try cross-referencing that lower sump cover part number to see if it's shared with other models.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah, I personally have no use for the chipper function, I already have a dedicated craftsman(MTD) chipper with two 3" blades and a 19ci Briggs, I was more worried about resale value. That chipper may do more harm than good for the little Tec, but the vacuum is a good function. I wish mine had the blower deflector, but it did come with a decent bag (only 2 small holes).

I know the part number for the base plate, and i believe that was only used on these early 90's shredder vacs. In the late 90's they increased the impeller diameter, made the fan blades shallower then increased their numbers, plus they also added flails in order to shred leaves caught in the screen. That new combination moved the chipper blade out further and allowed them to use a standard engine base.

I think the key is to find the base gasket number and try and find what all it cross references to. It would take an experienced small engine mechanic or former Tecumseh employee to answer that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts