Mylawnmowerforum.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all,

I'm new to the forum but enjoy tinkering with small engines. I presently own six push mowers. I picked up a lot of mowers recently to show one of my kids how you repair these small engines. On this particular mower, the gas was left sitting for years in the mower. I have changed the oil, the air filter, replaced the carb, and cleaned the spark plug. The engine wants to run, but I can't quote get it to. It will burn a tad of gas, blow a puff of smoke, and die. Wondering what I might try next to get it going?

Wesley

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
if possible, grab a can of carb cleaner/parts cleaner, remove the air filter, give it about 2 second squirt into the carb, start it up and see if you can keep it running by squirting into the carb. if you can keep it running like that, it's a fuel issue.

Also, how much oil did you put in it? it calls for 21 ounces.
and what color is the smoke, is it black or white/blueish?

also for a little more info, the craftsman number indicates it's a Tecumseh TVS105-53151G,

·
Registered
362 Posts
Welcome to MLF Wesley. Have you checked compression? It's possible you have a valve stuck open if the engine has sit for so long.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if possible, grab a can of carb cleaner/parts cleaner, remove the air filter, give it about 2 second squirt into the carb, start it up and see if you can keep it running by squirting into the carb. if you can keep it running like that, it's a fuel issue.

Also, how much oil did you put in it? it calls for 21 ounces.
and what color is the smoke, is it black or white/blueish?

also for a little more info, the craftsman number indicates it's a Tecumseh TVS105-53151G,
I have not tried the carb cleaner yet but will try that.

I added about half a quart of oil, up to the "full" line.

Smoke looks normal coming out with a white color.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I removed the carb and gas tank, fully cleaned both, and reassembled. With a shot of carb cleaner, the engine will now crank and run great on the first pull. Thanks everyone!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts