My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my father and I were talking. Our hobby has gotten to be way too much like work! Stress over no machines done, fellow looking for a machine from us, a guy asking dad to do major work on his tractor. We decided to call it quits for a while! I missed riding my bike, went on Sunday and was guilty for missing working on tractor! Not cool feeling! God says we need to keep a balance in life, I lost mine! Life is short and we were starting to get stress bickering! Gonna still be around, just chilling until "hobby" is fun again!
Got alot of projects tractors for you all to take a ride for!! LOL
I'll be around,just gonna enjoy my life a little more!

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
No problem Eric, when things become un enjoyable then its time to step back and take a breather. Were not going anywhere and will be here. Take care of what's important like family and the things that pay the bills and drop in when you have a chance. :2th:

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
:ditto: with Brother Five, Eric -

A bit of the same boat as my projects, posting and a few health issues have slowed my activities down a few notches.

I NEVER tire from reading about you and your dads adventures in equipment. Always ---> :cool

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
God says we need to keep a balance in life, I lost mine!
I'll be around,just gonna enjoy my life a little more!
Nothing wrong with that!

Sometimes it's good for us to take a break from our hobbies and spend time doing other things that we don't always have time for. When we do jump back into them, we can do so on a fresh foot which can give you increased motivation and even allow for a deeper love for the hobby afterwards.

·
1,329 Posts
Good for you and your Dad, Eric. There are a lot of things to enjoy in life, get your share.
I know the feeling and I have a couple things to attend to in the shop and then I hope to do some fishing and yard care. The mowers will have to wait awhile. I need to finish the remodel work on the back of the house and build on a deck. now thats fun!
You guys enjoy your time off from the hobby.:2th:

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
You and pop do what you need to do Eric! :2th:

I know from personal experience one way to spoil a hobby (mine was electronics) is to make an occupation of it. It works out well for a few but I think for many others it does not. It's not the core hobby that you burn out on so much but other duties that start to become a requirement along with it. Whether it is dealing with people or accounting, or other aspects of a business or regular employment. Sometimes you just have to walk away for a spell be it a few hours a day or whatever so you can start to see the individual trees in the forest again to keep from getting burned out. ;)

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi guys, thanks! It was weird, we both thought about it ourselves before talking about it! I finally got on my Mountain bike, something I really love, felt kinda guilty while riding. Thought I should be helping dad! Dad wants to do some deck work on house and other jobs he wants done. He feels guilty because we have no tractors done! The tractors of late are fighting him! Easy jobs are harder or not working out to his tastes. Tonight, my bike had a flat, so he fixed it for me and I tuned his friends tractor ( I seem to have the "ear" for tuning that dad lost! :) ) We wound up enjoying that time more due to no stress! My job has been stressful sometimes and working Saturdays every other week took time away from our tractors. Dad can't handle the workload himself. We aren't going anywhere!! Now I can hang out and chill,not look for help for dad so he can get the latest mess fixed!! :)

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL motorhead, my bike fought me tonight! icked up a thorn I guess, flat rear tire off rack!! Took 15 minutes for us to find it and patch! In the mean time, I helped dad finish a friends tractor. Was kinda fun to tune engine without the deadline /stress! :)

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Yeah, this is why Im not a mechanic, it took the fun out of it and non of my stuff got any attention

I love to drive, but I get enough at my "9-5" so I don't do much off work

But heck you can always still hang out with us :sidelaugh

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi 89, I hear ya! I drive for a living too, local wholesale pump house. I drive around 200-400 a day. I know dad was burned out, mom would tell me how he acted during day and how his back was bothering him. He had a back surgery once already. I was getting tired of the sales part of job, people calling me during work and emails. I enjoyed it until it got too busy, felt out of balance. No relaxation and guilty if not working! Not cool! Tractors became job only, found that we took shortcuts to get done. Not good Christain thing to do, better to do it like it is ours! I am planning a trip for all three of us to Lancaster county PA. Then a side trip on a 25 mile rail trail for me and dad. Late May,around my Birthday. Excited to be looking at that ,not tractors for sale! :)

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We worked on the John Deere 111 after work today. Put a traction belt on and found a bad idler pulley. Explains the vibration. We had a relaxing time for a change. Stripped the engines out of the scrap tractors. I just made my vacation plans for May. Going to Lancaster PA Sunday night into Tuesday morning. Then return to Jim Thorpe PA on Thursday night into Friday to ride the 25 mile gorge with Dad! Busy but fun time I pray!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts