My Lawnmower Forum banner

Swapping blade clutches on older vs newer John Deere 14 SB

6K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  14SB9293 
#1 ·
Anyone ever put a Warner blade clutch on an older style Kawasaki crank shaft that originally came with the ogura style blade clutch.

I have several of the older motors and I would like to put the more modern Warner Blade clutch on them.

The only real difference I see is that the old crank shaft only has a partial slot for a woodruff key where the newer style motors that come with the Warner clutch has a solid cut up the length of the crank shaft that is exposed on the outside of the motor.

#4 ·
You probably do not want to do that unless you have a steady hand. I know you want to fix it, but it might be best to go with the Warner Replacement BBC for the Ogura BBC on the older models. There are 2 Warner BBC's: the newer one on 1994-1997 models, and the replacement for the Ogura 1989-1993 models. Both are keyed for their respective engine shafts. That is just my opinion to prevent an even more expensive repair.

#5 ·
Doug:

The two-piece Warner BBCs are still being made in two separate varieties to fit either the slotted crankshaft or the Woodruff crankshaft (the two that the Ogura clutches were put on). The John Deere TM1471 publication has lots of information on how to change these out. You'll probably need to order the full BBC replacement kit from someone like Bombergers in Pennsylvania. If you call them up and give them your mower serial number they can tell you which replacement BBC you need.

#6 ·
I have a 1993 14SB and will need to get the clutch replaced for next year. Just used it for the last time this season yesterday and it has been screeching horribly all year, but the most yesterday. Thats the same 14SB I had the oil sump replaced on earlier this past summer. Serial Number is GX14SBC190384. The Ogura Replacement BBC is Part #AM121452 according to the John Deere part catalog. I eventually plan a entire repaint of the mower deck and will create a thread when that comes around. The 14SE I thought I would restore is now going to be a parts machine for the 14SB even though it is one model year newer, many parts are still the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.