My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pops went MAD!!! :sidelaugh
Started when he wanted the lift rod for our flip red Craftsman, he made a mistake and broke it while removing it from our snow blower tractor. We sold the deck long time ago ,so no worries! He been wanting to restore our old girl to its former glory and he now knows what to do and how! Next thing I know, look at her!! LOL New fuel line and maybe traction belt is in its future!
She will be sweet! Stock color is the plan I think?? Probably never sell the old girl, we had it from new in 1996! Only hours are from blowing and some mowing a few years just to use it!

Some bed liner for the steps.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Its nekked! Looks like is coming along nicely! What bed liner did you use? A friend of mine just did his truck bed and fenders with the rhino liner stuff. That stuff seems like a good investment, I have slipped of my mower on some crazy hills in the past (shouldn't have been mowing them in the first place) How is the steering assembly holding up on that? I bought a similar model used a few years back and the steering system completely fell apart on it soon after I got it. I am still learning about mowers as I go so that may be a very common steering set up, I have no clue!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its nekked! Looks like is coming along nicely! What bed liner did you use? A friend of mine just did his truck bed and fenders with the rhino liner stuff. That stuff seems like a good investment, I have slipped of my mower on some crazy hills in the past (shouldn't have been mowing them in the first place) How is the steering assembly holding up on that? I bought a similar model used a few years back and the steering system completely fell apart on it soon after I got it. I am still learning about mowers as I go so that may be a very common steering set up, I have no clue!
Dad uses Rustolem Bed liner is spray can, real good stuff! We noticed the play in steering, will address this and it needs a new drive belt, never changed!! We were neglectful owners!
Tell me about it motor!

Well guys, pops is going custom!!! He has a lot of paint from a restore we never did, so here goes the custom Craftsman project!!
Here is what I saw when I got home!
He pressure washed it real good while like this! Never saw what trans we had!! :)

Here is the custom color he is going for!! Finished sprayed today!

The idea I had is to paint white strips on it and maybe engine tins for a classy look! Maybe side pipe exhaust?? Would be cool, but loud!!

·
Banned
84 Posts
Beautiful rig and good luck on it! We are expecting some more snow here in Denver on Saturday and Sunday morning. Glad I got the lawn aerated last week and will be over seeding the lawn tomorrow and throwing on some organic fertilizer as well. I am ready for my lawn to be green.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We might get snow next week! Busted dad's chops some!! We got back up anyway! ;)

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well got home to a very angry father! The paint failed as he laid a white strip! The blue flaked and bubbled up? He was so mad and disappointed . Poor thing ,something happened, he knows what he is doing. Might have been a chemical reaction? I had to avoid him some what. A good thing happened with the flip tractor to cheer him up. See on other post. He did get some work done on tractor itself. The wires for my taillights are routed better and bed lined some chassis and side panels.
He re-primed the fender and it failed too! So total striping is required now! :( He isn't going custom paint he says, so mad, just wants it stock.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bruce, pops seemed so mad, guess he really did a nice stripe and was laying the white down. The paint all cracked and bubbled. You sound right as to being chemical. I wonder if he had a senior moment?? Bet he won't work on it much for a bit now.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Too bad, that was a pretty blue. With white stripes you could have been going for a retro Ford look.

Reactions: Ericjr16

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Trying to get dad back into it. He has a lot of paint from failed projects last year, the ones we sold as is. Well he has a lot of orange and white. Trying to talk him into a retro Suburban style like my SS10??
What do you guys think of that one?
Orange on bottom, white on top?

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Yea, that would be nice.:ThumbUp:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Smitty, lets see what he does now.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Bruce, pops seemed so mad, guess he really did a nice stripe and was laying the white down. The paint all cracked and bubbled. You sound right as to being chemical. I wonder if he had a senior moment?? Bet he won't work on it much for a bit now.
I had finished painting a tank on one of my motorcycles and wanted to do a stripe, the paint did the same cracking thing, made me SOOO angry, not really even sure why, it was like the paint was mocking me lol

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea, dad isn't messing with it as far as I know. He left it outside. I did order some parts for steering system for the Craftsman while it is blown apart. I am hoping he finds his next paint job better results!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dad replaced the Transaxle belt and the steering part I ordered to tighten it up. He reinstalled the gas tank and parts of rear. It is ready for second paint job. Guessing it is going back to stock? Too bad...........

1 - 20 of 51 Posts