My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 92 STX38 #148288 and the transmission jerks in second and third. I thought it might be easier to replace the trans rather than fixing it. I bought a 91 STX38 #103405 for its transmission. After I got it home I noticed the transmissions are different. The 92 has a Peerless 915 and the 91 has a 930. Will the 930 fit in my tractor without to much trouble or should I look for a 915.
Does anyone know why the original transmission jerks only in second and third. Can that be fixed easily? Thanks

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Have you checked the condition and tension of the drive belt? It could be the belt slipping.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
I agree with Motor and Austen, we had one that had a slipping belt. Then the transaxle on my 180 will do that due to worn shift guide part inside. Check the belt first!! God willing a easy fix!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
STX38 transmission

I installed a new belt and adjusted it to 1 and 5/8 inches on the tension spring. No help still jerks and has noise coming from the transaxel. Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Hello Jackson, it sounds like the issue we have with the 180, shift key is worn. I believe the trans are easy to switch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts